Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unicolor drum problems

Unicolor drum problems

Wanting to obtain the best possible consistency with my 8X10 work I am trying drum developing. I started with a Beseler drum and a Unicolor base(the kind that reverses automatically) but the smooth walls on the Beseler drum were not helping so I aquired a Unicolor print drum and began testing it out. It is an 11X14 drum so as I can do 2 8/10's at once. The problem I am experiencing is driving me nuts! I keep getting lines where the ridges are on the inside of the drum. The lines are about 1/4 inch wide and run the length of the negative. They aren't showing with every single ridge on the drum but they will be in like a group of three(spaced the exact distance as the ridges) then an inch or so with none, then a group of maybe two, then none for awhile, then maybe a group of four, etc., etc. Also the lines aren't all exactly 1/4 inch wide as they deviate(not like they were drawn with a ruler). I am doing the testing with FP4 and Pyrocat 2:2:100 using 500ml chemistry for two sheets. And yes the emulsion is facing in towards the center of the tube. My thought at first was that the weight of 500ml of chemistry is causing the film to sag or scallop between certain ridges and thus setting up a non desireable flow pattern resulting in an uneven type development but I originally started out with 200ml chemistry and not only had the vertical lines but uneven densities running across them. When I upped the chemistry to 500ml the uneven densities went away. I have even tried presoaking out of the tube and loading wet to no avail. I know people use these and love them but I am so perplexed by what is happening. Especially when I hear "Never had a problem", "Never once had any streaks", etc., etc.

Here is my procedure (in the tank**);

1) Pre soak in distilled water for 5 min.(In the drum and running) 2) Pyrocat 2:2:100 for 7 min. 3) 15ml 28% acetic acid/1000ml water for 1 min. 4) Kodak F4 fixer for 4 min. **using 500ml chemistry

Out of tank;

5) HCA 1:4 for 2 min. 6) 20 min. wash 7) 1 min photo flow 8) 20 min wash. Actually the steps 5-8 are meanningless as I see the streaks as the film comes out of the tube and before I put it in the HCA.

I have run about 8 sheets so far and some are not as bad as others but they are there on every one. I was using a citric acid stop bath on a few and it was the same. I actuallu aquired TWO tubes and the other one does the same thing. Any help would be really appreciated. I have searched usage of uniclor print tubes and haven't seen this before on other posts. Thank you kindly in advance your thoughts and time.

Mike Pry Salem, WI

Unicolor drum problems

I've read about that happening with pyro (pyrocat, specifically). I got the impression that they would only affect UV light for alt processing - it wasn't totally clear, though.

Have you tried printing any of the negs?

Unicolor drum problems

I've never processed film in an 11X14 Unidrum, but I've done plenty of prints in them. Have you tried using an 8X10 drum and doing the negs one at a time? I use 300ml of solution when processing 4 4X5 or 2 5X7 negs in an 8X10 drum, so I presume you'd have to use at least 500ml (600ml may be better) for 2 8X10 sheets in an 11x14 drum. I've been using HC-110 dilution H for Plus-X and Tri-X.

BTW - I've not had any streaking problems...

Unicolor drum problems

Check the film to see if the lines are on the front(emulsion) side or the back. You should be loading the film so that the emulsion is facing inward, and the back of the film is against the tank.

If the lines are on the back of the film, there are two possibilities. 1: Chemical residue or halation coating not washed away. Try adding small plastic spacers to the edges of the tank so that the back of the film only touches at the edges.

2: scratches due to loading/unloading the film. I had this problem with my 4x5's. Make sure the holders are clean of dust/dirt, and dont bend the fim when loading/unloading.

If you still cant figure it out. try to isolate the problem. You may try taking out a sheet of film to inspect it(without loading it into a holder). Then develop it, this will help determine where the lines are coming from.

Unicolor drum problems

Mike, I use a unicolor 8x10 and 16x20 tube using Pyro and have had great results. The only thing I see different in your process and mine is I DO NOT PRESOAK the negatives. I know, everybody and their brother says you have to but that is for tray development not tubes. Try one negative and see if that doesn't help. The only other thing I can think of would be something specifically with the HP4 but I don't thank the film is the problem. Good luck and let us know how you do. Doug

Unicolor drum problems

Ilford specifically recomends NOT pre-soaking FP4 and HP5 - so maybe that's it.

I've used the same set-up with FP4 and Xtol, DD-X and D23 and had good results (but see my message in the other Unicolor thread) - I've had similar problems as you with HP5, but never FP4...)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Unicolor drum problems

The first thing I'd do is forget the presoak. Ilford recommends against it, I believe their films include some type of protection against something and that protection gets washed away by the presoak (sorry, I forget the details, "protection" probably isn't the right term but you get the idea hopefully). I don't think presoaking accomplishes anything with most modern filsm, it used to be recommended with the old "thick emulsion" films but I've read that it isn't needed with most modern films and may actually be detrimental with some. I tried processing with and without a presoak when I developed 8x10 in trays, sometimes in pyro sometimes in D76, and never noticed any difference in the negatives whether I presoaked or not so I stopped spending the time it took to do it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Unicolor drum problems

Go to Sandy King's Pyro article: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html On page two are steps for developing, including a 5 minute presoak being "absolutely essential with rotary processing". On the same page, see the information on "Print drums on motor base" about removing the drum and giving sideways agitation (I also turn the drum end for end on the base every minute after the sideways agitation, although that may not be needed). I think these things will solve your problems. I'm presently doing 5X7 Arista 125 (widely believed to be FP4) in an 8X10 Unicolor drum on a Unicolor motor base using Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100 and haven't noticed any streaking or uneveness. It is possible Sandy's presoak and sideways agitation are only necessary for Pyrocat, but as long as I'm using it, I plan to follow his advice.

Unicolor drum problems

Just try re-fixing in a tray outside of the tubes........could be halation coating not being removed from back of emulsion because of the ribs in the tubes. Just a guess.

Unicolor drum problems

Michael,

To repeat what I said on another forum, with some additional comments.

I really have no clue as to the problem. In my own work I have never used a 11X14 drum for processing 8X10 film, but I have used one of the same diameter and with the same internal configuration to develop two sheets of 7X17 at a time.

As far as I can determine your procedures are virtually identical to mine.

Are the streak lines on the outside of the film (facing the drum) or on the emulsion side (facing in)? The question assumes that you loaded the film correctly. However, given your description of the process the only possibility that enters my mind is that you loaded the film incorrectly, with the emulsion side facing the wall of the tube. If you were to do this it would certainly result in the patterns that you describe. Otherwise I have no way to explain the streaks.

However, to address two issues introduced here that were not mentioned on the other forum.

First, please read carefully Leonard Robertson's message. He makes important points about the type of agitation needed with this type of processing.

Second, I do absolutely advise the presoak. I have looked at this issue very carefully, with an abundance of testing of different films, and my conclusion is that a presoak, of specific length, is very important with rotary processing for consistency in negative CI. I am certainly aware of the pros and cons in the literature (Ilford, Jobo, etc.) re: presoak, but in spite of the controversy I am personally absolutely convinced that for rotary processing with Pyro developers the presoak is very imporant for consistency in processing to a certain CI. And for some other reasons also, but that is another chapter.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon