Thread: DeVere 504

5x5 with 4x5

DeVere 504

Anyone attest to the qualities of this unit? I am concerned about availability/cost of accessories, especially neg carriers and lens plates. Any help would be appreciated.

DeVere 504

Depends where you are in the world. In the UK, the DeVere 504 is arguably "the" professional enlarger (or rather "was", in this world of ever increasing digital).

Do a search on your local eBay for current and past items to get an idea of availability and cost of parts (watch the spelling, it's often written as "De Vere").

Cheers,

DeVere 504

I used two for many many years. One with a coldcathode head and one with an ilford multigrade head. They are built like a tank, come in wall or floor or bench model. Focussing controls are on the baseboard so no more tired arms. They are very very cheap compared to what they used to be. Odyssey Sales in the uk supplies new and refurb models and all parts etc They are superbly designed.

DeVere 504

I’ve had one for a few years now. It’s far and away the best enlarger I’ve ever used. I have no experience with other units of similar design (Saunders, etc), so I can’t comment of how they compare. Previously I used a Beseler 45M and a few others.

The Devere is rock-solid, and the front knobs make for easy adjustments. No “long arm” adjustments required. The negative carrier has masking blades (I use mine with a glass carrier, ANR glass is recommended of course).

I never expect to buy another enlarger. If you find one at a good price, get it and don’t look back. The mechanics are great, but I've heard stories about bad power supplies. Make sure everything is working before you buy.

DeVere 504

I have been using the 504 with Dichro head for about ten years. Rock solid. Lens stage adjustable left/right and front/back with screw driver and small Allen wrench.

Great machine, except for the flimsy hinge of the neg carrier. (also a weak point in the Durst Femoneg carrier).

For medium format and 35mm use a recessed lensboard.

Check on Google re sales, parts etc providers.

DeVere 504

Hans made a good point. You need a recessed board (DeVere calls them "dished" boards) for a 50mm. I think there's two kinds, one more "dished" than the other. The 50mm lens requires the lesser recess.

My 80mm works fine on a flat board, though.

The boards are threaded (at least mine are) so you don't need a retaining ring.

5x5 with 4x5

DeVere 504

Thanks for your honest opinions -

I will mull this a bit more -

Thank you again.