Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many holders do you carry (landscapes from near the car on a nice day)?

How many holders do you carry (landscapes from near the car on a nice day)?

Premise: it's a nice day and you're feeling the "need" to do some photography. You're not going backpacking, nor doing a professinal shoot. You hop in the family bus and drive to an area which you think might give some good images, (maybe it's an old stomping ground, or maybe it's somewhere you just heard about). You find an promising area, and park the old buggy. There may be good stuff right by the road, but you want more than that, (you may have shot from there on a previous trip), so you pick up your stuff (camera, tripod, etc.) and head down the Primrose Path. You hope for something nice, but don't really expect anything extraordinary. But it's a nice day, and you feel good about life.
    My question: how much film, (how many holders), do you take with you? And while I'm at it: what filters? (Please specify format size).
    Thanks, and have a great day.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: How many holders do you carry (landscapes from near the car on a nice day)?

4x5............Six (always the minimum) B&W filters...... Orange, Green, Yellow

Sometimes, just one holder w/ one side loaded.

That will sharpen your vision.

It’s also easier to decide when it’s time to head back.

It depends on my goal. If it's something specific, I may only carry a couple. Yesterday for example I took 2 holders to shoot under a very, very big interstate bridge I had scouted previously.

If I'm taking a walk to "see what I see" I'll bring more, typically 6 or 8. This is all with 4x5 but the similar rules would apply to 8x10, too.

12. Two f64 4x5 film holder cases with six holders each. If I'm going for a walk away from the truck, I'll probably just take one case with me. For 8x10, I have six holders, three each in two RPT Cascade cases.

Lee filter holder with Lee or Hitec Light Red, Dark Red, Orange, Yellow (I use Yellow almost 100% of the time) and Green. Plus a few ND Grads.

The 4x5 outfit lives in an F/64 backpack and there are six holders in there, so for 4x5, six. The 8x10 has a different cooler bag and it has four film holders in it, so for 8x10, four.

That said, there are often additional cooler bags in the trunk with more filmholders; anywhere from another dozen on up in 4x5 to anywhere from 6-12 more 8x10.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Still Developing

between 6 and 8 depending on how good it looks. If I'm going to be wandering around a woods for most of a day and it's stunning, starting foggy with some great autumnal colour and the potential for great evening light then potentially 10-12. It also depends on how many types of film I take as I might end up being mostly in a velvia or portra mode and I could run out of one but not the other. I also normally take a dark slide of Provia (just for potential sunsets) and E100G (cause it's gorgeous).

With 8x10 I'll take two or three. 1 or 2 fidelity's and a Chamonix with a half darkslide.

Given your 'not really expecting anything extraordinary' then it would be 6 - usually two Portra 160, one portra 400, two Velvia and an E100G or Provia depending - this will vary too. For 8x10 I'd take two.

Tim

p.s. and as for filters, I take Lee filters with a lee adapter and a lee standard hood. one each of soft and hard 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 plus a 1.2 hard and 0.9 reverse that I never use apart from together for staring at the sun when I'm predicting the sun going in/out behind clouds.
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I don't understand. What are these soft and hard and reverse? "soft and hard 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 plus a 1.2 hard and 0.9 reverse"
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Usually 8, 6 b&w and a couple with Portra 160 just in case there's any color out there. The typical array of B&w filters, yellow 8 and 12, orange 21, red 25, polarizer.

Peter Gomena

Usually 8x10 -- 5 holders for going into the redwoods for 4 to 6 hours...I would usually come back with a holder or two un-exposed.

If I am on a photo trip (say in Yosemite, Alabama Hills, or Death Valley) and I am out walking all day (8 hours or so) I might carry up to 7 holders and I might use most of them all.