Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100 year old picture on glass negative developed in 2004!

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: 100 year old picture on glass negative developed in 2004!

Great lab... and this sure beats those thrift store film cannister finds

Tonque in cheek ----

I hear someone found a 100 year old "CD". Debate is still raging as to the real purpose of the item.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    Tonque in cheek ----

I hear someone found a 100 year old "CD". Debate is still raging as to the real purpose of the item.
    They were used to scare birds away from fruit trees. One of the major brands supplying these items for this purpose was a company called AOL.

I could not help but trying to analyze this facinating phogograph. I placed some lines over the image to help me get an idea about the room.

The Red lines are lines of convergence for the Left hand wall and the Yellow lines are the lines of convergence for the Right hand wall. There is some sort of moulding or baseboard on the right hand wall. We don't know where the floor is. My guess is shown by the white lines.

I can't really tell if the ceiling is showing. I drew a convergence line up there for the right hand wall (not shown) and the angle is pretty steep and does not match any of the irregular density at the top of the photograph.

Whole thing's amazing. I always wonder, given these found film (plate?) threads, what happened to make someone put an exposed roll/sheet/plate away in the first place. Even if this was a reject, wouldn't they eventually want to use the holder again? Makes it even more remarkable that these things survive.

And a big "hell, yeah!" to an excellent lab. Wish they were near me.

Hopelessly Lost

I would also like to point out that at the time that this photo was taken, most public spaces, at least the academic types, were well, small. Coupled with the fact that this image was most likely taken in a rural area (due to the location it was found in), I would venture to say that the photographer was right up against the wall. Also, being in a rural area at the time it was taken, electric lit rooms were sparse if not all together unknown. This would lead to an abundance of natural light so i would venture to say that there was another window opposite the one that is visible, hence the subjects closest to the lens (and apparently furthest away from the only visible source) would be the most well lit. Just an idea.

H.

www.hollisbennett.com

I helped a friend move a few years ago. He was a snapshooter. I opened an end table drawer to pack the contents and found 117-rolls of undeveloped film. Some folks just don't get around to developing.
    juan

racer, what is it that you are trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by bglick View Post
    racer, what is it that you are trying to say?
    That post was some time ago. It just demonstrated the principle that the convergence lines from each plane (read 'wall') all meet at the same point. So, things that are not visible (like the edge of the floor and the wall) can be estimated because the convergence lines will point to the same place as those of the visible objects. Just to see if knowing where the floor and wall meet shed any insight on where the people are positioned in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    They were used to scare birds away from fruit trees. One of the major brands supplying these items for this purpose was a company called AOL.
    I've been mailed a few of these as I recall. I threw away the CD's but kept the metal tin they came it. I'm a sucker for containers. I later discovered that the tin is the perfect size to carry a spare ground glass for my 4x5. I sandwich the glass between two pieces of 1/8" foam core and tape it all together. It has survived every trip in my checked luggage without incident.