Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Arca-Swiss 11x14 camera

New Arca-Swiss 11x14 camera

Just got this Photokina blurb from Rod Klukas:

http://rodklukas.com/716/arca-swiss-...hotokina-2012/

Need to scroll down a bit. Looks like a new design.

Bob
    Last edited by biedron; 14-Sep-2012 at 12:03.

Re: New Arca-Swiss 11x14 camera

Interesting. The front standard base looks like a P1 monoball head.

In addition to Rod's web site you can download the official Arca Swiss Photokina 2012 press release (bi-lingual German/English) by clicking here

I'll attend the photokina at the end of this week, so I'll be able to report here about what I've seen next week.

There are also so new technical cameras from Alpa and Cambo, so we'll see if they also have new things for the LF film aficionado.
    I discovered in the official photokina database that Sinar is no longer listed as a supplier of LF film cameras, only MF/LF digital cameras. We'll also see what is on display there.

There is also a new Rodenstock 90 mm lens, intended for digital but very probably useable in the 6x9 format (not for 11x14", though ) and scanning digital backs. This lens is announced to be able to resolve 100 cy/mm hence suitable for recording digital images with a sensor pitch of 5 microns.

Emmanuel,
    I'd love to have some more detailed info on Arca's LulF camera:
    How much movement does it provide at the front and rear standards? Any geared movements?
    Does this P1 type front carrier have appropriate zero detents to zero the camera properly?
    Are the connections to the rail more rigid than on the M camera?
    In the press image it looks like the front frame is a large board that takes Arca's 141 lens boards but also the 110 through an adapter. Does Arca also support the 171 system with this camera?
    Any idea how the LulF will be priced and when it will be available?
    Will the 11x14" parts be available separately as an upgrade path in the modular Arca system?

-Dominique

As the owner of an 11x14 Deardorff I can only say that I would want to really look closely and the ability of the rails to stabilize this camera from lateral movement. 11x14 is a very large format requiring (more times than not) very long timed exposures that absolutely mandate zero camera movement when shooting in the real world. That said the six inch square base of my Ries A100 tripod is nothing compared to the massive thick 16x16" base on the V11 that combined provides the absolutely necessary structural base support. If I was looking at one of these I would tape a laser to the side of the rear standard and aim it against a wall 20 feet away and let a fan blow air on the side of the camera (or just let the wind outside blow on it) to investigate its stability in real life field conditions. When you are paying upwards of $10 a sheet for film and see obvious unintended subject movement on your negatives in the fix tray when you turn on the lights - this will set you off big time. Been there and done that. That is why I go through the hassle of carrying that friggin heavy Ries tripod. It is called shooters insurance and it is worth it. Great format but it is a whole new level of things to consider.

I'm guessing that most people who will buy this probably won't be shooting with it too much...

If I wanted to move up to 11x14 from 8x10, I'd save my pennies and get a DD. And only put it on my ries... Despite its considerable weight differential to my Gitzo CF tripod, its the most stable platform that I feel any LF shooter can use, short of a Foba studio stand. But those aren't really for field use now are they ?

If only Portra 400 was readily available in 11x14, wasn't a special-order only item, and didn't cost $40+/sheet after processing, I'd give more consideration to moving up. Even if only to contact print, even for color work. 8x10 is 1/2 that cost, and I'm not a rich dude, yet

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    In addition to Rod's web site you can download the official Arca Swiss Photokina 2012 press release (bi-lingual German/English) by clicking here

I'll attend the photokina at the end of this week, so I'll be able to report here about what I've seen next week.

There are also so new technical cameras from Alpa and Cambo, so we'll see if they also have new things for the LF film aficionado.
    I discovered in the official photokina database that Sinar is no longer listed as a supplier of LF film cameras, only MF/LF digital cameras. We'll also see what is on display there.

There is also a new Rodenstock 90 mm lens, intended for digital but very probably useable in the 6x9 format (not for 11x14", though ) and scanning digital backs. This lens is announced to be able to resolve 100 cy/mm hence suitable for recording digital images with a sensor pitch of 5 microns.
    Emmanuel, can you share with us what LF news did you see at Photokina?. Is really Sinar no longer making LF cameras?.
    Thanks in advance

I just looked into some replacement parts for my Sinar P2 and was told that as of Jan 1, 2013, Bron Imaging (Sinar's US distributor) will no longer be supplying or selling parts for Sinar LF cameras, so there may be some validity to that idea. Shame.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

Holy Shit!

F?!k.... So my 8x10P is essentially going to be worth crap if I can't get the parts I need to maintain it ASAP....