Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice - lightweight 14" or 360mm lens for 4x5?

Re: Advice - lightweight 14" or 360mm lens for 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just depends on the camera itself and whether on not you'll need to use the same lens on
    8x10 film too. Big heavy lenses with 3 shutters don't typically work well on many 4x5 camera because there's just not enough mass on the front standard - things can get wobbly. But telephotos can cause similar issues due to excess wt. The Fuji 400T is in a no.1 shutter, but of no use on an 8x10 if that if being contemplated. I really like the Fuji A
    because it works so well on both formats, and at almost any focal distance.
    Not planning on 8x10 at this point. I would prefer to stay away from telephoto designs due to the size of the lens. I have plenty of bellows as well.

The Fuji A looks really nice, but seems to be about as common as unicorns.

I think my best bet is to sell my RD Artar in barrel, and buy either a 14" repro-claron in Compur #2 or 360mm apo-ronar in Compur #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    ... and buy either a 14" repro-claron in Compur #2 or 360mm apo-ronar in Compur #2.
    Anyone know if either of these lenses have filter threads?

There is Schneider's Apo-Tele-Xenar 350/11 in a Copal 1 shutter. No, it's not a telephoto despite its name.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

WRT the filter threads, a $5.00 step up ring with an ID just larger than the OD of the front of the lens barrel will do the trick. Get a bag of assorted rubber bands from the drug store. You will find one small diameter one with a cross section thicker than the step up ring that will make a nice gasket for the ring-to barrel interface and will hold everything together tightly. Mash ring onto barrel with rubber band in between. Works like a charm. For Artars, I always used a red one, of course. Completely reversible too.

OR, get a step up ring slightly smaller than the front element diameter and stick it on with some ATG tape (rolled into a thin rope). That's what I did on my 24" artar and it worked flawlessly.

I have a Kowa Graphic 360 for sale here on the classifieds. It is f9 and in a Copal 3S. It is compared to the Computar and said to cover more than 11x14. It is also said to have been used on a 5x7 copy device. To be honest, I haven't used the lens. It was mounted on a TOYO lensboard and I looked at it on the ground glass on a 4x5 OmegaView. It seemed very sharp but wanted a whole lot of bellows. This lens has been compared to the Artar as well. There are threads discussing it, too.
    It would be a less expensive option and a modern lens in a modern shutter.
    Don't mean to be shamelessly self-promoting. Good luck with your search.
    Mark

loujon

Hey Jeff. This is why it would be a waste of good money to pay to have your barrel mounted 14" RD Artar installed into a proper shutter. The cost would far exceed what you can buy a comparable mint condition 360 process lens factory mounted in shutter.I bet it would cost a couple hundred more then what Daniel is selling his 360 APO Ronar in Copal 3

I have no connection to seller.http://www.largeformatphotography.in...m-all-in-Copal

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    [SIZE=2]Hey Jeff. This is why it would be a waste of good money to pay to have your barrel mounted 14" RD Artar installed into a proper shutter. The cost would far exceed what you can buy a comparable mint condition 360 process lens factory mounted in shutter.I bet it would cost a couple hundred more then what Daniel is selling his 360 APO Ronar in Copal 3
    Yeah, I think you're right on that.

For the moment I picked up a Symmar convertible from eBay for $74. This should tide me over until I decide which option to choose.

The new Apo-tele-xenar looks pretty nice, but a bit spendy.

The Fuji A looks really nice, but seems to be about as common as unicorns.
    I had one once but sold it. Never had a Fuji A though.

I have a 14" RD Artar that I am considering mounting into a shutter. Looks like the cost of the shutter, cleaning, and mounting will probably be $600+ though. This doesn't include the cost of lens caps (might need custom) and an adapter to allow filters to be used. By the time everything is done I could have $1000 into this, and there's no way I could recoup that cost if I decided to sell it.

Before I go through with that, I would like to look at my options. Anyone have a suggestion for a small & lightweight lens, with reasonable room for movements on 4x5?

Not really interested in a 300mm right now - too close to my 240mm. I don't think I could focus a 450mm either.
    You might also consider front mounting the Artar on a less expensive shutter such as an Ilex #4 or Alphax#4 (see the S K Grimes website). Grimes charges about $85 for a simple front mount.

Even if a small amount of vignetting does occur there should be a sufficiently large image circle available for plenty of movements on a 4x5.