Thread: Quick release plate for Toyo VX125

Quick release plate for Toyo VX125

So - my 'new' Toyo VX125 was just delivered and it is an awesome piece of mechanical beauty, but I have one little problem: how to attach the camera to a tripod. There is something that looks like a quick release plate already mounted on the rail, but it does not fit arca-swiss style quick release, as it is larger (wider). At the same time - there is one one threaded attachment point (looks like 3/16").

According to manual (yes, I have an original one!) there is probably a dedicated quick-relase that fits the camera, but I have never seen one on internet, so I guess it is rare. On top of that I use quick release plates with other camera, so I would much prefer to use arca-swiss styled plate.

So - what would be the best way to attach a arca-swiss style quick release plate to Toyo VX125? It feels a bit dumb not to be able to mount the camera on a tripod ..

thanks.

EDIT: Correction, the thread (which is a screwed-in bushing) is probably more like 3/8" (just tried to measure it) - quite large in other words.
    Matus

Re: Quick release plate for Toyo VX125

Probably just screw a arca-swiss style plate, having a slot for the screw and a lip, to the built in Toyo quick release plate...

Looking at Adorama picture of
    rail: http://www.adorama.com/TY180750.html
    camera: http://www.adorama.com/TYVX125.html

Be certain of your thread size. Most of the references I see say it is 1/4

For 3/8 maybe something like: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...ssy3/8&key=cat
    For 1/4 maybe something like: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...chnika&key=cat

I'm always amazed that the arca swiss style vendor websites don't make it easy and obvious to browse for plates by size.
    Jeff Keller

Thanks. What makes me unsure about mounting another quick release plate on the existing one is that there is only one screw one may use. When I measure the width of the thread it is approx 5/16", so I guess the screw is 3/8". And that is already with an screwed-in thread adapter - so the base thread is even larger.

When I come to think of it - the best solution could be to have the original toyo plate machined down a bit to fit the arca-swiss style quick release directly. Of course that would be an irreversible step - but at the same time it would be the most stable and safe solution.

I am opened to more ideas ...
    Matus

Would having someone mill it cost more than a plate? Mine came with an Arca Plate already attached. It has a lip to prevent twisting and a screw to prevent it sliding off the clamp when loose. Fits in the case just fine.

I am considering having a dedicated plate/mount machined for the camera, the question is how much will it cost and how long will it take. SKGrimes comes to my mind, but I would prefer EU-based company for obvious reasons.

If there is a mechanical shot within EU that would be willing such a job - please let me know.
    Matus

I have just order a quick release plate from Giottos MH468 as it is equipped with a 3/8" screw and has the right length. I will let you know how (whether) it works with the VX125 in a few days.
    Matus