Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only three lens focal lengths?

Re: If you could have only three lens focal lengths?

I couldn't choose just three lenses, with no options to switch out depending on where I was going.

I hiked about 5 miles yesterday, and decided to bring a lot of kit - 47/90/150/210/300/360/500. I shot 6 sheets, 2 with the 500mm, 2 with the 210mm, and then 2 with the 47mm. Who would normally bring 47/210/500? But that's what I needed/saw.

Haven't developed them so it remains to be seen if that was the "right" lens choices...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

This could be an evolving thing. Being a wide angle shooter for some time now (47, 72, 90), I'm bringing a 150 back into the mix. (Wow! radical!) A 180 would be handy as well. Before I switched to a camera that wouldn't take anything over 180 without a back extension, I loved working with the 210.

These wide angles just happen to suit my photography, which lately involves alpine and sub alpine zones and doesn't involve a lot of vistas/scenics where things in the distance would be dwarfed by the foreground. A 150 is very useful in these situations.

So, three lenses? 72, 90, 150. Just to be different from everyone else.

Ask me again next year.
    My Stuff URL="http://www.dubickiphotography.com"]http://www.dubickiphotography.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I couldn't choose just three lenses, with no options to switch out depending on where I was going.

I hiked about 5 miles yesterday, and decided to bring a lot of kit - 47/90/150/210/300/360/500. I shot 6 sheets, 2 with the 500mm, 2 with the 210mm, and then 2 with the 47mm. Who would normally bring 47/210/500? But that's what I needed/saw.

Haven't developed them so it remains to be seen if that was the "right" lens choices...
    Almost my list from the first page! .

I like the wide and long end.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

10" (or there abouts) 14" and 19" on the 8x10. In fact thats pretty much all I use anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

In my case, for 4x5, I have a number of lenses, but I find my Rodenstock 135mm and 180mm are what I use for 75% of all my shots. As others have pointed out, after you are shooting for a while you sometimes "evolve" into either a wide angle or telephoto kinda shooter. That is likely true for any format, film or digital, when you think about it.

I do have a nice 90mm, but seldom use it. I find I use my 270mm G-claron for close up work or "telephoto" more than my 90mm. I know the 210mm is a "standard" and despite having three 210mm lenses myself, I don't like that focal length too much. Yeah, I know, don't ask.

I suggest you start with two lenses, one larger and one smaller than the 150mm size, and see which one of the two you use the most. You may then find out over time your three best lenses are all under or over that 150mm mark

good luck
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

When I first started shooting large format, I found my 90mm was more or less glued to my camera, a Sinar F2. But I was shooting coastal landscapes mainly and it suited the kind of landscapes I enjoyed shooting. Now it's not that easy for me to get near the coast, I generally shoot what is around me in the city. So I'm finding my 90mm unused, my 150 mostly glued to the camera and my 210 getting action like it never used to. I'd like something longer though. So for this present time, I'd say 150, 210 and a 360mm. It'll change in 6 months no doubt.

Preston Birdwell

I only shoot 4x5 landscape, intimate landscape, and some close-in stuff.

135 Fuji, 210 Schneider Symmar-S, 300 Nikkor M all of which I already own. I also have a 90 Nikkor that is not used much, and 180 Fuji which sees more use.

Wish list: I'd add a Fuji 450 or a Nikkor 500T.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I like to keep it simple and have only owned 3 lenses since I started large format, Schneider 58mm, 90mm, 210mm. Only last year added the 58mm and love it!

I recently noted this in my blog if you're interested.

If I could only have three for 8x10 these three would suite me rather well 150/300/450

75-135-210mm thats for me!
    Nr. 4 would be the 47 XL from Schneider
    Nr. 5 300mm APO Ronar

Cheers Armin

P.S.You never have to much glass;--)))