Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Film changing bag or tent...

Re: Film changing bag or tent...

I agree, the Harrison tent is a fantastic piece of kit. A damp cloth wipes out the inside perfectly—mine is still pristine and it has been in very harsh environments. The carry bag is well made too. I normally carry two bags – a change bag and my Harrison – the Harrison gets used every time. People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...

Resurrecting this thread because I'd like to know if anyone has tried any of the Chinese knock-offs, specifically with 8x10.
    Here are links:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/280925893825...84.m1423.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3529wt_1398

People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...
    Just say, "bubble-boy is inside and I'm changing his diaper".

Quote Originally Posted by bicubic View Post
    I agree, the Harrison tent is a fantastic piece of kit. A damp cloth wipes out the inside perfectly—mine is still pristine and it has been in very harsh environments. The carry bag is well made too. I normally carry two bags – a change bag and my Harrison – the Harrison gets used every time. People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...
    I'm finally taking this advice, er I mean I think Santa is. I've been getting by with a Photoflex Changing Room for 4x5, but it is a bit too tight in there for my taste coupled with the fact that the changing "room" doesn't have a flat floor.

I've used a bag for years. The last couple times I had light leaks while loading film in daytime. I'm quick with it and always in the deepest shade I can find and usually with darkcloth draped over bag. (I put on a long-sleeved shirt to get a better seal in the armholes but I think the right one has lost it's elasticity.) Night loading, no problem. Carrying a bag because I frequently hike up somewhere and sleep overnight waiting on light and the bag folds up and rides in a pocket on camera pack. Plus I've been a cheap fellow and not sprung for a tent. If I ever see YOU with a loading tent in a campground, I'm liable to hang around for a while...

Last trip to Canyon de Chelly we were in a motel every night and I carried 10 film holders per day so I never used bag. Never quite shot out, though I did run through 19 one day. Shoot two negs per scene, mostly. All 5X7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0510.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	85261 Shiprock Shadow, morning. I'm sure this film was loaded in a bag after dark. Had spent the night up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Resurrecting this thread because I'd like to know if anyone has tried any of the Chinese knock-offs, specifically with 8x10.
    Here are links:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/280925893825...84.m1423.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3529wt_1398

Anyone have any experience with either or both of the changing tents I linked to above?
    Better to get a tent-shaped bag or the big box type? Preferences?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Anyone have any experience with either or both of the changing tents I linked to above?
    Better to get a tent-shaped bag or the big box type? Preferences?

Thank you.
    I have the tent-shaped one. Excellent quality. I did not try it yet with 8x10, but it does look big enough.

Stefan

Ted Mishima

I've got a Calumet Tent that I use to load up 4x5 holders and also to put on reels for my Jobo tank. Floor space is important, but if you need height as well, the Calumet works very well...

Thanks guys.
    I already use a Photoflex changing tent, similar to the Calumet tent, but it is a verrrry tight squeeze for 8x10.
    The Chinese tents/bags look like they're of good quality, but I just wonder about ease of loading, one vs the other, since one has more vertical space, and the tent has a slight edge in floor area.