Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI ( Wista ) vs Deardorff 4x5

Re: Zone VI ( Wista ) vs Deardorff 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The brightest groundglass is an adequate darkcloth and patience while your eyeballs accomodate to the light, much the same way that the sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod. (winking smiley)
    Except that no amount of waiting will make the corners perceptible if you're shooting with a slow lens at twilight. The sensitivity of human eyes is not linear.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Actually, the way I use the cameras landscapes are one of the uses for which a non-gridded glass is convenient. I use grids for architectural subjects - it is the only reliable way to set the back of the camera, levels and such contraptions will save time and be useful to set up the camera, but the grid is the final arbiter.
    As Bob says, the grids may not actually be installed square to the back, in which case, the levels on the camera, if you have them, should be the final arbiter.
    Secondly, as you've indicated, architectural subjects are considered the ones where grids are essential where the straight vertical/horizontal lines need to be maintained. For landscapes, the horizon is often not truly horizontal, and the sense of proper orientation gets a lot more subjective. That said, I like grids for everything actually...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    Except that no amount of waiting will make the corners perceptible if you're shooting with a slow lens at twilight. The sensitivity of human eyes is not linear.
    You're correct. My point is that many who worry about sufficiently bright GG would be better served with a proper darkcloth and some patience. I use some fairly slow lenses on plain GG and have no trouble seeing the image.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

The camera arrived today!

Upon fondling with the camera, I noticed that a screw came off, the one that locks the front swing. Luckily I found it in the box.

Will do a flashlight test tonight when it's darker.
    Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Asia.

Bellows a little bit out of shape though. Doesn't bother me..

Beautiful looking camera.

$550, you got a good deal. Grats.

You need one of these to put it on instead of a shoebox.

Did the flash light test. Bellows show massive leakage at the point where it is glued on to the front standard. Is there a safe way to remove the bellows, for reattachment ?

The last time I removed the bellows of my Cambo 4x5, I ripped it apart. It was good for nothing anyway as it had many pinholes.

Rectified the leak with some gaffa tape around the edges. I will need to glue it back when I have the time to do so.

Also I find it a bit odd that the locking knobs that secure the wooden thing in the rear wont go in fully.

As you can see the one above goes in 100%, and the lower one only goes in 75%.

Other than these 2, Im a happy camper.

As the seller of the above camera, I was very interested to read all the comments. The camera served me well, but sat around after I lucked into a Chamonix. It was a difficult to decide which one to sell, and I'm not sure I made the right decision. Sold it for what I paid for it, so I was happy with RichardSperry's comment - happy to pass on the same good deal that I originally got.

It is definitely a Zone VI made by Wista - has Wista name plates on it and Wista ground glass in addition to the Zone VI plate. It's a DX II (no rear shift to give it better stability)