Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting

Lighting

I meant, "...you may NOT have the time to learn to light like a seasoned professional..."

Lighting

Hi Eric,

here is an adress where you can find the basics for studio lighting :

http://www.cybercollege.com/

good luck

Lighting

Where are you? - perhaps someone can reccomend a Photographic club with a studio lighting group.

You would obviously like to use the lights you have - what lights have you got?

Lighting

Hey fellas, while Ross Lowell's book on lighting is an undisputed classic, I've got to stand up for Wayne on this one: the site he refers to is a fountain of good information and offers some great pointers not just on lighting, but on how to think about your lighting relative to your subject. The approach outlined in the site can be pretty helpful to a beginner (and some pros).

Sure, the pictures are kitchy, dated and faded. But the author of the site, a retired, 80-something -year-old photographer who once lectured at Brooks Institute, is no slouch. The site is the magnanimous effort of a man who practiced professional photography —and always did his own color lab work— from 1957 to 1989, to share his knowledge with the world before he kicks the bucket. Instead of ridicule, he deserves our thanks and respect. Personally, I prefer to sift through the dusty kitch to find a couple of gems here and there! When I helped Roger Hicks write "Hollywood Portraits", I had the luck to have been in contact with a lucid old-timer like this fella. Invaluable.

Erik, get the Ross Lowell book, Kodak publication no. 0-4 on portraits (if it's still being published),, and check out the site Wayne links you to, above. The rest is testing. Be patient, thorough and have fun! —Christopher Nisperos