I just got a new (to me) used Technal Dry Mounting Press for what strikes me as a bargain-- $150 for the 12x15 size. It appears to work well, although I haven't done any testing with temperature to make sure the thermostat is accurate. I got it because I've been wanting a good way for mounting prints, I also print fiber prints and struggle with flatness, and it was a good deal.
I have dry-mounted before, but it was using a friend's press and under his supervision; also, that was 10 years ago. Now I'm filled with questions! I'd love any advice or instructions that y'all have to offer. Specifically, here are my questions:
<ul>
<li>What is the basic process? I know the essence of "put the print on top of a mounting board with dry-mount tissue sandwiched in-between, and press;" I need more particular instructions. Do I place the print emulsion toward or away from the heat? What is the best way to protect the print during this process? Recommended temperatures for different papers?
<LI>I've heard that I can use the press to flatten fiber prints; any recommendations for accomplishing this?
<LI>Do I need release paper? It's fairly costly from what I've seen, and I've heard mention about alternatives. The salesman suggested I could even use a (paper) grocery bag instead of release paper-- anyone tried this?
<li>Which prints do you mount? Only those going in frames? Every print, even if it is mounted "bleed" and will sit in your darkroom or office?
</ul>
Thanks in advance for the help.