Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak says it will continue to make film!!!!!!

Kodak says it will continue to make film!!!!!!

Big big news Kodak today. Film manufacturing will stay with Kodak.

"Kodak will continue to manufacture and distribute its quality line of motion picture film products. As a matter of fact, all film manufacturing will actually stay with Kodak, including that of consumer and professional still film. We will continue providing our entertainment customers with the products and support they have come to depend upon from Kodak."

Read more: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...#ixzz25ifSRv4u
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Drew Wiley

Re: Kodak says it will continue to make film!!!!!!

I'd take any rumor at this point with a grain of salt. Even within a corporation like this, the
    right hand might not know what the left is doing. I've heard very conflicting "official" pronouncements over the years from Fuji too. Time will tell. Maybe they were just sending
    out a trial balloon to see if anyone was interested.

That must mean that the entire company is up for sale now . . .

whatever.

I have to agree, this thing is getting so boring , one day on one day off,
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    whatever.

Or they can't sell the film making division for the price they expected.

I was talking with the owner of a small independent movie theater yesterday. He has just invested $250,000 in digital projection systems because after January 1, 2013 all movies will be digitally projected and optical prints for projection will no longer be available. 20th Century Fox according to him had digitized their entire inventory, including cartoons, and had destroyed the film. I assume other studios are doing the same. I think the film market is shrinking....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I was talking with the owner of a small independent movie theater yesterday. He has just invested $250,000 in digital projection systems because after January 1, 2013 all movies will be digitally projected and optical prints for projection will no longer be available. 20th Century Fox according to him had digitized their entire inventory, including cartoons, and had destroyed the film. I assume other studios are doing the same. I think the film market is shrinking....
    Well he doesn't know what he's talking about because film is now recognised as the 'only' archival option for long term storage of motion pictures - this includes the transference of 100% digital move production to film for storage. There is a great white paper called 'the digital dilemma' worth taking a gander at. Also even though final projection is digital in many 1st world countries. These systems are still way out of reach for most third world countries and hence distribution on film will still be important.

Kodak have just signed a three year contract to supply film to Disney, Warners, NBCU and Paramount (although there is a 180 day sunset clause).
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

It's confusing because still consumer, still professional, and movie film are all made in the same place, so how they sell only part of that sounds complicated....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Utter nonsense, as timparkin said film is the only archival option, still film negs over a century old are still viable, sadly many motion picture
    films that were nitrate based are lost forever. That independent theatre owner should look at the supplement on the restoration of Jaws bluray,
    after all the digital hoo hah they made a new film negative for preservation.