Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellows leaks - does it need to be zero tolerance?

Bellows leaks - does it need to be zero tolerance?

I tried to seal my Linhof Tech Master bellows a couple nights ago, using liquid shoe polish. It was a "nothing to lose" trial.

Well, it has worked out really well. It looks beautiful, and 99% of the leaks are gone.

I can find tiny pinpoint leaks if I fully extend the bellows, but if I rack it into "using" length, I can't see any leaks.

Is that "good enough"?

Vick

Re: Bellows leaks - does it need to be zero tolerance?

Most likely, no. Even one pinhole leaking light onto your film will leave its mark. What you can do at this point, though, is wrap your focusing cloth around the bellows after composing and focusing. You need a new bellows but wrapping them is a sometimes serviceable alternative while you're waiting for the new bellows to arrive.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Probably for Ottawa, maybe not for Utah. All you can do is shoot and see. Throw the dark cloth over before you draw the dark slide.

I've shot with small light leaks, if you are a Photoshopper you can even retouch them out sometimes. Obviously you don't want them but oftentimes you won't get them unless the bellows is extended and it is very bright. If the leaks are along the seam on the bottom of the bellows - well that is why the seam is on the bottom ;-p

Having none is better, obviously. Perfection though isn't required.

What you describe would not deter me, I might simply drop my dark cloth over the bellows when done focussing and before I pulled the slide.

I would though be starting my search for a new bellows.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Ko View Post
    I tried to seal my Linhof Tech Master bellows a couple nights ago, using liquid shoe polish. It was a "nothing to lose" trial.

Well, it has worked out really well. It looks beautiful, and 99% of the leaks are gone.

I can find tiny pinpoint leaks if I fully extend the bellows, but if I rack it into "using" length, I can't see any leaks.

Is that "good enough"?

Vick
    "Good enough" isn't. Patching a bellows is at best a method of buying time. I'm not familiar with the product you used, however the liquid shoe polishes I have seen and used are far from being suitable for patching bellows. I have patched bellows which had a leak in one corner by cementing a patch cut from very thin glove leather over the damaged corner, while the bellows was minimally extended so the patch would have some slack when the bellows was extended. I used 'Barge' brand contact cement, and the patch has held for quite a few years. But - this bellows had been damaged by mishandling, not worn out.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Okay, thank you all for your experienced advice.

regards
    Vick

no. a few holes are always good to let air in and out when folding up/opening the camera.

Maybe become a nocturnal photographer?

I wouldn't want to take a chance with pinholes—they will only be a problem on your most important images.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

If you're doing your own processing and can see the results immediately, what fogging damage may be done from (worsening) pinholes could perhaps be limited to a single session of photography. If you're farming it out--where multiple sessions of film accumulate before sending it off--you'd best not have any pinholes.

The worse part of pin holes and leaks is that once they start you will get more. Patching or taping might be a stop gap but it is not a cure and it does constrict a very flexible bellows like a Linhof one. Replace it and eliminate current and future problems.