Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You think gear is expensive now?

Re: You think gear is expensive now?

Michael,

Interesting,thanks for posting.

Cheers, Steve

In 1978 I bought a Leica M-3 body for $250. In the mid to late 90s these were trading at ~ $1000! Today its something like $500 or less.

There will come a time when our grandchildren will throw these things into the re-cycle bin.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

An M3 will still be a great tool even after Kodak stops making film... B&W film will never truly go away.

The lenses, on the other hand, have for the most part increased in value.

Went to my 50th college reunion a few months ago. Someone joked that we had to pay more for the week than we had paid for a year's tuition which has gone from around $1k to around $60k

Look at it this way. A top of the line digital SLR camera with a medium long fast lens will run you more than $5k easily. And d not forget then u need a computer to access the images. Jow much will that cost?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Look at it this way. A top of the line digital SLR camera with a medium long fast lens will run you more than $5k easily. And d not forget then u need a computer to access the images. Jow much will that cost?
    Don't forget a printer if you want prints, software, and the learning curve. I looked into the cost of replacing my not-huge 35mm outfit with a DSLR of comparable quality, lenses, plus all the other neccesary equipment. The cost is comparable to a new car. I have less than $1000 tied up in my Nikon gear.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

and what will these digital wonders be worth in 10 or 20 years?

is anyone even 'collecting' digital camera stuff like they do film camera stuff?

there are only a couple I could name that might be worth putting away.. and certainly not for use

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    In 1978 I bought a Leica M-3 body for $250. In the mid to late 90s these were trading at ~ $1000! Today its something like $500 or less.

There will come a time when our grandchildren will throw these things into the re-cycle bin.
    I bought a clean M3 ds with a 50mm Summarit and leather case for $200 in 1987 or 88.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Don't forget a printer if you want prints, software, and the learning curve. I looked into the cost of replacing my not-huge 35mm outfit with a DSLR of comparable quality, lenses, plus all the other neccesary equipment. The cost is comparable to a new car. I have less than $1000 tied up in my Nikon gear.
    What about your enlarger, developing tanks, paper, chemistry, enlarger lenses, safe light, timers, thermometers, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    What about your enlarger, developing tanks, paper, chemistry, enlarger lenses, safe light, timers, thermometers, etc.?
    I use a D2 Omega for everything up to 4x5. The $1000 includes the 35mm specific darkroom stuff - a lens, negative carrier, some tanks.