Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: September 2012 portraits

Re: September 2012 portraits

wow!

r

Quote Originally Posted by bracan View Post
    Acros 100, Sinar C4x5 and no name Petzval lens f4 wide open.

Attachment 81153

I swear there were puffy clouds overhead just 15 minutes before....

Not sure what it is but there something very special about that photo Frank. Its quite understated in terms of exposure,contrast yet the timing is flawless as is the eye line of the groomsmen and bridesmaids, Love it.
    I thought it was taken in the UK looking at the scenery and the weather until I saw it was you who had taken it

I've been to the Lake District and that's hard to beat, but there still are some very nice domestic landscapes through the NorthEast, especially "New" England ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I swear there were puffy clouds overhead just 15 minutes before....
    You know I'd love to see a wedding with several people in the audience shooting Speed Graphics. People just don't look right to me using cellphones to take pictures of events.

Frank,

Love the wedding photo, but you might consider removing all but the last 1/16 inch of sky (to the right side) and drop out about 5CC of yellow, both to bring up the colors. Now if there was only some way to get the guys to NOT do the fig leaf pose........my God, if I've had to talk one groomsman out of that pose, I must have done it to a thousand over the years.

Great, great image!!!!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Frank,
    Now if there was only some way to get the guys to NOT do the fig leaf pose........my God, if I've had to talk one groomsman out of that pose, I must have done it to a thousand over the years.
    !
    One photographer I work with calls it the "Pee Pee Pose".
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks! Yeah it was the last warm day of Summer and there isn't much blue in that sky, once I take the (fake, Portra) warm out it goes dead ~ it's a bugger to balance "pleasing".

I have to admit that the Nikon DSLR gives me pleasing color in varied situations, more consistently, as much as I love Portra in general.

I stopped doing weddings over 20 years ago and haven't shot color negative film since the Vericolor days. I wasn't aware that Portra has such a yellow bias. Seems like it really messes with both the tonality and contrast, or maybe I'm just used to the value ranges of both Vericolor and now, transparency films.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Well I could probably do better but in general terms, Portra is warmed up to the edge of being unnatural - but in a customer pleasing way since most people want warmer skin tones. And Ektar feels quite cool and harsh in comparison. In both cases Kodak departed from reality to suit marketing needs.

I don't do weddings either, this was for a friend. Weddings are really hard work, people who do them well deserve high praise and pay.