Thread: Durst 138s circle

Durst 138s circle

I just acquired an old Durst 138s (B&W) with two 240 condensors and a 210mm lens. I have the correct lamp (the big one which is no longer made!). When I try to print 13 x 18 cm (5x7") I get two semi circles around the left and right side of the image. What am I doing wrong?

Durst 138s circle

Hi, Stephanie.

Are you sure the condensors are on correct position, curved sides facing each other? You should also find the right place for the lamp, adjusting centering and distance from mirror.

Good luck.

Durst 138s circle

Great advice Cesar. That will correct the problem. You might also have a visual diagram on the front of your head as to the configuration of the condensors (facing each other as mentioned previously) and which ones to use for what format.

Also, make sure that your baseboard is adjusted perfectly parellel to your negative carrier and your lens. The best way to accomplish this objective is to use a laser leveler placing a reflective glass inside the carrier (that comes with the unit) and then adjusting your baseboard accordingly.

When you release the side level allowing the baseboard to swivel, you have several adjustments to work with. Under your baseboard you have a screw that goes up and down in the rear center of the board and in the front you have two rods that push up into position for the aft adjustments. These rods have bolts on the bottom of them that screw off and the holes in the sides of these rods are for rotating them with a thin screwdriver and holding it in the correct position as you fasten the bolt down.

Place the laser leveler on the board and when the large reflection is in the center of the circle on the baseboard, you are centered. Tighten her down and you should be good to go.

Cheers!

Durst 138s circle

I use a Durst too but with a 150mm for 5x7 which works fine. For 2.5x's enlargements or less (2) 240's are fine but for greater than 2.5's enlargements (1) 240 should be on top and there should be a 200 condensor on the bottom. As said before the flat sides of the condensors should be facing the light and the neg and use the light adjust (2 knobs) to have the bulb in exactly the right position. Occasionally MWP has condensors for this enlarger or always Glennview, but they are expensive. Enjoy!

Durst 138s circle

Another remote possibility is checking that the lens panels are properly seated onto the receiving surface. I have had the problem of some light leakage if the lens boards were not centered just right.

Durst 138s circle

To add to Michael's alignment procedure don't forget to check that you easel is with the program.

Cheers,

Durst 138s circle

Hi,

I just want to thank everyone that contributed answers for my problem. I took advice from all of you, and sure enough.......... problem solved! (I think it was indeed the combination of the condensor placing and the lamp adjustments.) Thanks again so much!

Stephanie