Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WordPress Themes

Re: WordPress Themes

I use Weebly (terrible name, I know), and chose a plain white theme that I could mod somewhat by going into HTML.
    It's not perfect, but it's clean, easy to update, and free of a lot of the trouble I had with WP.

You might want to take a look at Photocrati. I have found it to be really flexible. I changed a few things and I did have a web designer tweak it for me for my purposes but there's a lot of freedom even if you don't do something like that. Look through a bunch of their samples and you'll find that it can suit a lot of purposes. You can also take a look at mine.

I've found that there are a lot of "half-decent" free themes but I was happy to pay a little bit for one that I could really work with. I'm not really sure that a theme can or cannot be specifically well suited for large format.

Once you've put it all together it's important to have a host that knows all the ins & outs of Wordpress. That's why I have been with Dogbark for quite a few years. They have outstanding service and were really helpful in making my site work for me. They also re-worked a small detail in the Photocrati code that they found in error.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Bill Koechling; 16-Oct-2012 at 15:10.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I want to like photocrati, but it's not responsive, which is an instant dealbreaker ... I mean, seriously ... something like half of web traffic comes from mobile devices today. My own site statistics show that my traffic from iOS went from about zero to over 30% when I switched to responsive galleries. In addition, most of the demos on the photocrati site seem to actually break when I test for responsiveness. When I shrink the window, the home page gallery image disappears, and doesn't come back unless I reload the page (Bill, this doesn't happen with your site). So ... not on my radar in its current incarnation. If they fixed these issues I'd be interested. I like the general approach and a lot of the customization options.

Photocrati is going to be responsive. It's on the roadmap, but it's going to happen after NextGEN Gallery Pro is complete and built into Photocrati.

Your website looks awesome, Bill. You should add it to the Pinterest showcase: http://pinterest.com/photocrati/photocrati-showcase/

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by scottwyden View Post
    Photocrati is going to be responsive. It's on the roadmap, but it's going to happen after NextGEN Gallery Pro is complete and built into Photocrati.
    Do you know when this will happen?

There is no official ETA because the NextGEN Gallery project is a big one. It's going to be an industry changer. The developers are pushing towards completion but unfortunately I can't give you an answer to that.