Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumping in the Classifieds

Re: Bumping in the Classifieds

Buying and selling things casually is not anywhere close to a "dealer" that keeps inventory and sells hundreds of items a year as a major part of their income. I think the spirit of the rule lies in that definition of "dealer" and you are equating someone who, say, finds a Speed Graphic at a yard sale for $10 and sells it here for $100 as the same thing.

Is there anyone else on this forum who wants to get rid of the Classifieds? I have to say, if you think that way, I do wish the programmers could setup a custom blocking command that lets users block certain subfora so the rest of us can enjoy the added benefit of finding LF and other photography equipment here without the constant complaints. Realistically, if you don't buy/sell, it doesn't effect you, other than seeing it in the weird combined thread list posted. It's not 1999 anymore .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've seen other forums with an 'Ignore Thread' option in the 'Thread Tools' drop-down menu.

I wonder if there is a way to set up the forums so one would have to pay to be apart of or use the BST section.

Honestly I'd prefer not to have to pay because I like how it is now, but if it's problematic to some that seems like a happy medium. I would much rather buy from users on this forum than eBay or somewhere similar because when people describe the item they are selling on here they are pretty honest unlike ebay sellers just trying to sell you something without really knowing what it is or telling you what is broken....

Out of curiosity, I was looking around, and there's a "Forum Tools" drop-down menu.

In that menu there is a setting to "Subscribe to Forum." I haven't tried it, but maybe, if you were to subscribe to the forums you wanted to look at only, you could then use your usercp page under "Settings" to see a conglomerated thread view similar to the "Unified View" in the upper left. All threads I have replied to are automatically added to that view so I can look at and/or respond to subsequent posts.

I use the "Subscribe to Thread" function for just about all the active image-sharing threads, and the first thing I do after logging in is click on "Settings" which shows only subscribed threads. This is great for when I just want to see the "meat" of the forum--which for me is images--and skip the rest.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ...Is there anyone else on this forum who wants to get rid of the Classifieds?...
    You didn't quote me Bryan, but, since you posted immediately after I did, let's assume you're directing that question to me.

This is the Feedback category. In it, we are invited to provide our input about the forum. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether anyone else shares my opinion on this subject. When a "Feedback" thread concerning the classifieds is started, I post relevant input from my perspective. History reveals that holding a small minority opinion is no reliable predictor of being incorrect.

...I have to say, if you think that way, I do wish the programmers could setup a custom blocking command that lets users block certain subfora so the rest of us can enjoy the added benefit of finding LF and other photography equipment here without the constant complaints...
    You wrote that as part of post #101 and my disinterest in category blocking was spelled out just one post prior (#100). To wit:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...When reading the posts of members, it's valuable to know what their background, activities and attitudes are. If they're constantly conducting business in the classifieds, insight can be gleaned about the reasons for / validity of their opinions posted in other categories...
    There's been no change in my thinking since post #100.

...enjoy the added benefit of finding LF and other photography equipment here without the constant complaints...
    Please explain how you define "constant." I, like other members, offer my opinion when appropriate "Feedback" category threads arise. That's by no stretch of the imagination "constant." It's certainly far, far less frequent than the virtually continuous stream of FS/Wanted threads. I'd speculate it's at least two, and perhaps three, orders of magnitude less frequent.

...Realistically, if you don't buy/sell, it doesn't effect you...
    Indeed, only a certain act by my parents roughly nine months before my birth can be credited with causing me.

...It's not 1999 anymore...
    Alas.

Perhaps I am overestimating. But it seems like I've seen you asking for the elimination of the Classified subforum many times.

I wouldn't miss the classified ads section but I see no reason to deny others of its use. I seldom look at it and never advertise in it. I have responded to a few want ads if I see them in the "New Posts" list but never peruse the ads. I usually get better results on eBay anyway even with the fees. At any rate, eBay offers excellent protection for buyers that simply cannot be done on a forum. YMMV...

I agree. I mean this hobby, art practice, etc. is heavily reliant on gear. I always find it strange when people who are into it, don't get psyched up on gear. I go to the "For Sale" section usually first.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I like the "peanut gallery" in sale threads. Makes it seem less commercial to me, more like a community of people with a shared interest. The kind of banter you would hear standing around a seller's table at a camera swap. If you were selling something at a camera fair and I came up and said "Wow, that's a heck of a deal" would you tell me to STFU?

Plus, people often have good information to add about an item.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Perhaps I am overestimating. But it seems like I've seen you asking for the elimination of the Classified subforum many times.
    Sal very consistently hums that tune. He is unwavering in his conviction, but seems to be a minority opinion no matter how many times he repeats himself. But I'm impressed at his persistence and dedication.