Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best long lens for large format

Best long lens for large format

I'm considering buying a currently manufactured long lens in the 300, 360, 500mm and up range. It won't be a tele version so please eliminate those types from your recommendations. There was an earlier thread that mentioned a 480 A Ronar(?) but I didn't see any conclusions about it, good or bad.

I would be particularly interested in seeing examples of photos taken with the lens you would be commenting on if you have them, but please don't let this keep you from contributing.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the scene compression look you get with, say, a 300-500 35mm tele lens, but in large format.

Octogenarian

Hi Bill,

You didn't mention what format you are working with. It would also be valuable to know how much bellows extension you have. Do you have enough to handle a 480 mm lens?

Assuming you are asking about 4X5, you can probably use a 300mm lens, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. Look at the Nikon 300M or the Fuji 300C. If you have the bellows length to work with, look at the Fuji 450C. Using an extension lensboard, I am able to use the 450C on my 4X5 camera. It's smaller and lighter weight, with a little longer focal length, than my Fuji 400T (tele), even with the added weight of the extension board.

As far as the scene compression you desire, you are probably going to need a telephoto lens design like the Fuji 300T, the Nikon 360 tele. or the Fuji 400T in order to accomplish that effect.

Bill, the math suggests that you're talking about a VERY long lens indeed. Something on the order of 72" for 4x5. I can't think of any 4x5 cameras with 7' of bellows, so I think a telephoto lens is your only practical option apart from reconsidering your original intention and settling for a less direct comparison to 35mm, i.e. a shorter LF lens. While a long LF lens will give a short DOF, it will not create the kind of compression you're talking about with a 35mm camera and 300-500mm lens. I believe that Nikon makes a 1200mm tele lens that might approach your objective. The 480mm (19") Ronar comes nowhere close to the compression you want. It is more akin to a 135mm lens for 35mm format. All that being said, the Ronars are process type lenses, and good performers according to the majority of users (of which I am not one). Good luck.

Eugene, I'm using a Cambo 4x5 monorail to which I can add extension rails. I'm not, literally, trying to match the 35mm focal length compression, just something long enough to give a similar effect. And do you have a link where I could see something with your 450C?

Jay, I think my rail is about 9 inches and I can get a 12" extension.

I looked in my 98-99 Calumet catalogue and the lens comparison photo samples they used look like I could get by with a 300mm or 360mm.

I have and recommend the 450C, but it absolutely does not provide any compression to speak of. Gotta stick with smaller formats.

Terence

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't a 600 mm lens give you the same amount of compression regardless of what format you're using?

Yes, there will be "more" in the picture, but for a given focal length, an object 20 yards away and an object 500 yards away will appear just as "compressed" regardless of the format. Won't they? Does the fact that a 600mm for 35mm is retro-focus make a difference?

Or is this just another photographic mystery that will keep me awake late at night?

Octogenarian

Hello again Bill,

Sorry, I don't have a way to skan my prints to show you the results with the Fuji 450C.

A 9inch rail, with a 12 inch extension still only gives you enough length to use a lens in the 400- 500 mm focal length, maximum, providing your bellows will stretch that far.

A lens with a true tele design would eliminate the need for more extension, and still give you the effect you are looking for.

Is there some reason you are rejecting a tele lens?

Eugene,

I've heard a number of comments that indicate a tele 4x5 lens is not as sharp as a regular focal length lens. I also talked to a fellow 4x5 shooter who lives locally, and he basically says the same thing. That there is some inherent softness in them.

Thanks

I have an old single coated 360 tele-xenar that has a ding in the filter ring where it has been dropped. I can resolve lettering on a construction crane that is 1 1/2 miles away and 1/10 of a mm tall on the transparancy. (and near the edge of the frame)

http://truckgenerator.com/subdomain/sueandneal/digital__film.htm

360 is a little short for what you want but while I understand that a telephoto lens is a design compromise it doesn't seem to me to be a major loss.