Thread: moving Sinaron Digital lenses from DB boards to Copal shutters.

perptual newbee

moving Sinaron Digital lenses from DB boards to Copal shutters.

Hi,
    I have a couple of Sinaron digital lenses in Sinar DB boards that I would like to be able to use on an Arca Swiss 6x9 so I need to move them to shutters. However, they don't fit directly to Copal shutters as the rear elements would drive through the shutter blades if screwed in. I know that Messrs SKGrimes could fit me out with correct spacers, but that requires exporting/importing from France ( and so possible taxes ) so I ask if anyone here has already done this, or knows of a firm in the EU that would do the same?
    Thanks

Re: moving Sinaron Digital lenses from DB boards to Copal shutters.

I do not know either the Sinar or Arca Swiss camera systems, but I wonder if it might be easier and less expensive to find a way of mounting the Sinar Copal shutter system onto the Arca Swiss when it is required...

perptual newbee

The F-Line 6x9 front standard only takes 110 square boards, so I would need to get a 4x5 front standard and a couple of rolls of gaffer tape to adapt my Copal. I have a spare, but doing it would sort of negate the advantage of the lighter format . I'll see if I can pull one of the DB boards apart to see if a DIY solution is possible. It depends on whether Sinar designed the board around existing Copal 0/1 dimensions or went to a completely propriety design for precision reasons or market protection.

All the Sinaron digital lenses I've had were sold both in DB mount and shutter, and seemed to share the same cells. The Sinar lists I have list standard shutter sizes (0/1/3) for most of them, but a few have a "special" attribute to the shutter size - these will presumably be different in some way or other.

Why not ask Sinar ?

Headquarters
    Sinar Photography AG
    Farbhofstrasse 21
    CH-8048 Zürich

Phone: +41 (0) 44 217 80 30
    Fax: +41 (0) 44 217 80 50
    E-Mail: contact@sinar.ch

France
    Le Grand Format
    54, boulevard beaumarchais
    75011 Paris

Telefon: (+33) 1 40 21 30 40
    Fax: (+33) 1 40 21 30 43
    E-Mail: legrandformat@yahoo.fr
    Webseite: www.legrandformat.com

perptual newbee

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    All the Sinaron digital lenses I've had were sold both in DB mount and shutter, and seemed to share the same cells. The Sinar lists I have list standard shutter sizes (0/1/3) for most of them, but a few have a "special" attribute to the shutter size - these will presumably be different in some way or other.
    I saw a doc on the sinar.ch pages giving that info, but it seems that it does not concord with my lenses (maybe older versions). I have a 60mm and 135mm. Both of these DB are shown as shutter size 0, whereas the cells for the ones I have are 29,5mm front thread (copal/compur size 0) and 36mm rear thread (copal/compur size 1 rear). Hybrids!!! That Has to be market protection. The rear elements in both are too long to be able to go into a #1 without touching the diaphragm. They have spacer tubes between them and the diaphragm housing that look to screw into a smaller thread (size 0?) but I am unable to verify that as they did not yield to the wrench. Sinar do a conversion to shutters, but the cost is prohibitive, around $1400 plus shipping/taxes. I'll contact SKGrimes for a quote if no other solution surfaces.

Another person to consult is George Brown. He has converted shutter-mounted lenses into Sinar DB boards for me, and also CLA'd my Sinar P. I will send you his email via PM.

perptual newbee

Thanks for your input guys, Much appreciated. I will update here with progress.