Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is large format photography on the rise?

Re: Is large format photography on the rise?

If you need to ask, then you'll never understand.
    Just because Brett said so, doesn't mean it is. I don't find it drudgery at all. Perhaps those that do don't understand.

Edward probably made Brett work for free and he has some issues there?

All I know is that I paid quite a bit for my 14" Commercial Ektar.

It is by no means an exotic lens but I guess the laws of supply and demand dictated the price. The demand must be up!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

ive also noticed a rise in prices on some gear, especially the commercial ektars, and the speed and crown graphics
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Edward probably made Brett work for free and he has some issues there?
    No, Brett made the famous "drudgery" comment, twenty years after Edward died, in reference to printing his own portfolios. As far as Brett working for free, he was paid for the Print Project and the Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio printing of his father's negatives. To stay on topic, I should mention that Brett's second best selling print was from the SL66, not large format.

The SL66 is a fine camera. My friend, Harold has one and 5 lenses. I drool.

Photography overall is enjoying a huge renaissance due to digital. DSLRs are getting to be as cheap as film cameras once were and are arguably better at the majority of uses. Instant feedback and no incremental cost to shooting tens of thousands of images obliterate a couple of traditional barriers to rapid learning and improvement. It's never been a better time to be a photographer, technology-wise. This is bound to spill over into more traditional and LF photography, at some point, as upcoming new masters seek film out for the remaining niches it yet does supremely well. We might all be grateful for the never-shot-film-before noobs, they're the ones who'll keep it fresh and vital. But as far as film GEAR goes, there's gotta be enough Sinar and Calumet rolling stock dumped on the market by pros heading for the exits in the past couple of decades to last another fifty years of art-print making. I see monrails gathering dust when they turn up in retail store counters, for the most part. Nice collectible stuff, moves well here and on eBay, priced right.

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Well, Yosemite Valley is the Disneyland equivalent for LF photographers, and driving around I haven't seen any more numbers of view cameras being set up, but then I haven't seen any less either. FWIW.
    Well, it is more easily accessed if you are near and driving. I have to take a a plane from gmt +8 to there and drive a vehicle down if i want to set up my view camera there...

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The old farts should shoot half as well as Mr. Fur.

I don't know who has been mean to any newbs here? Most people are very encouraging and patient, beyond the call of duty when 99% of the questions could be answered ad-nauseam with a simple visit to a search engine or by reading the elaborate articles that grace the frontside of this forum.

If anything I've met a few newbies that are pestering and demanding, yet too stubborn to consider thoughtful, personal advice. Or they are suddenly quite expert at some aspect in spite of the fact that they haven't actually shot anything yet. And I see them a few months later selling off their stupidly-made purchases. Good riddance. We need all the film users we can muster but life is too short to deal with the ungrateful and dumb.
    It sounds mean, but I have to strongly agree on it based on what I see and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    If you need to ask, then you'll never understand.
    I'll never understand this attitude. Working in the darkroom is one of the two reasons I avoid digital. Darkroom work is often the most enjoyable part for me, I see the vision I had become reality.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.