Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Is large format photography on the rise?

Re: Is large format photography on the rise?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Wow, lot of unfounded good ol boy attitude towards "newbies" in this thread, way to go guys....
    Yeah I really have to agree. I got into large format years ago, having had my eyes opened to the possibilities by St. Ansel's "The Camera" I had been shooting 35mm and medium format and was more than happy with the size of the prints I could get so long as I was willing to shoot slow film, which as a landscaper, I always was.

It was the potential to manipulate my photographs through movements that lured me in, not big prints. I got a super graphic and loved it so much I got a monorail too because I wanted MORE movements! To this day I shoot a hell of a lot more 6x9 on a roll film back than I do 4x5 because I like the movements and can print as large as I probably ever will from 6x9. The only time I really use 4x5 is for B&W when I want to push/pull a frame a bit or a very rare shot color shot when my 90mm isn't as wide as I want on 6x9.

The point I'm getting to here is that I got into LF for the expressive possibilities and the excitement that would come with the challenges of new techniques, not because I thought that I would magically make bigger and better prints without effort, yet I'll bet, had most of you seen me on any of my LF outings in the first year or two, you might have assumed I just wanted to make big prints from a cool old camera, and that I hadn't the foggiest idea how to actually use it. Even today, I'm not prepared to say I'm close to using the possibilities of my monorail to its maximum expressive potential.

All I'm trying to say, is the next time you see a "newbie" who doesn't seem to know what they're doing, keep in mind that it may not be that they don't care to, its just that they don't know what they're doing . . . yet.

I've always found that experienced photographers are sincerely helpful to newbies. At least they've been patient with my questions and generous with advice. I'll grant that there may be some crabby old f@rt$ out there, but I haven't met any here in cyberspace nor in the real world.
    Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Allot of the sales here of "kits" look to me about people getting out of LF. Who knows for sure?
    But they're getting bought up, so someone else is using them.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Here in central Canada "Henry's" is the largest " real" camera chain, IMO. The two local stores in my city stock almost no film, but they do stock Ilford in 4x5" right on the shelf.

Locally on the wanted ads - paper,craigslist kijijii, etc, I see film cameras and darkroom gear for sale from time to time. Anything 35mm or medium format - camera and/ or enlarger will sit, but anything large format, which is rare to see to begin with, is snapped up pretty fast.

So I don't know how eveybody defines "on the rise", but when other types of film cameras are going for a pittance compared to their original prices, to see how well anything large format is doing, if that is not "on the rise", at the very least, it sure is doing good, especially when you consider how poor the economy is doing overall.
    Joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

If the Chinese are as efficient at building LF cameras as in other things, someone is buying a bunch of LF cameras.
    OK thats great.
    I don't think I've seen any great developments in film holders (or Fidelity and Lisco would be back in production.) Or new lenses (Nikon & IIRC Congo are out, I'll bet Schneider & Rodenstock are hanging ony the hairs on thier chinny chinn chinns and who knows what Fuji is up to?) Film however appears to be staying the course. The prices being asked for some old gear appears to be rising (demand?) Does this signify a "rise?" Maybe, maybe not.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

jadphoto

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've always found that experienced photographers are sincerely helpful to newbies. At least they've been patient with my questions and generous with advice. I'll grant that there may be some crabby old f@rt$ out there, but I haven't met any here in cyberspace nor in the real world.
    Cheers!
    And some crabby young ones too...

My experience has been that the more accomplished/experienced the photographer, regardless of the format they choose, the more open they are with their knowledge. I couldn't begin to count the photographers who have helped me over the years. And like John said, in cyber space, and in the field.

The really crotchity ones, probably couldn't find the asses with both hands tied behind their backs. (to quote my daddy).

JD

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    , I'll bet Schneider & Rodenstock are hanging ony the hairs on thier chinny chinn chinns and who knows what Fuji is up to?) .
    I wonder how Linhof is holding on? They've been making essentionally the same Technika for over 50 years, with only minor upgrades in the camera and major upgrades in price. Except for Government agencies and hedge-fund billionaires, I can't imagine anyone buying a new one, what with all the used ones on the market.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I see a lot more "I just bought another camera" posts than "I'm just getting into LF" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I see a lot more "I just bought another camera" posts than "I'm just getting into LF" posts.
    In my own experience, I haven't bought either a camera or lens in at least a couple of years---likely only film, paper and chemicals. My last "new" lens I re-discovered in a box of stuff that I won on ebay over five years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    They may be getting bought up, but that doesn't mean they're being used. The huge print craze seems to foster some curiosity about LF film, but the majority (who often have little to no epxerience with film) run away when they see how much effort goes into mastering the processes neccesary to make really good huge prints.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.