Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The role of solitude

The role of solitude

I am curious about the role that solitude plays for other forum members, in terms of being a requirement (or not) of the successfully creative process.

I have had to admit over the last few years that I have a really, really hard time going out and making anything worth looking at while in the company of others. Obviously this isn't the case when working with a model, for example. Another exception can sometimes be made for times spent out with other photographers/artists who are also there in a creative creative capacity, but even then, I've found that it has to be the right people and the right setting/time/etc. It's usually fun, of course, but not always productive. Doing your creative thing while others are around is tricky.

When on vacation with my significant other, for example, I often have to make a point of going out alone to make photographs because when I'm out with her, I don't really have the freedom to go at the pace I need, to hang out in those boring places where I like to find subtle things, etc. Of course, I could insist on it, but I'd rather not be a dick about it and would rather enjoy our time together (a happy life with the woman I love still taking precedence over artistic accomplishment). Still, the work must be made one way or another, so I go out and wander on my own when I can.

While here at home in Chicago, I make photographs by myself and mostly on my days off, particularly when she's working and I'm not.

I seem to make all of my best photographs when I'm alone, and when I've been alone for at least a couple hours and have been able to settle into my own way of approaching things. That's the kind of solitude I seek when I can.

Can you relate? Do you find the opposite to be true? What role does solitude play in your creative activities? I'm interested to know.

(Shrek)

Re: The role of solitude

+100

I call myself 'Shrek' for a reason.

Absolutely, over the last 40+ years I can count on one hand how many successful personal images I have made with other people present (my commercial work is the exact opposite-there are always assistants and clients present-but even there I have to shut people out, and go into myself).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yes, solitude is important factor for me too. I need it to think and be creative. I don't photograph much when with the family... and when I want to photograph they tend to abandon me quickly.

+1
    I have made some great images with people around but generally I see better when I'm alone, all by myself

The trick is to find photographers to go out with, but head off in different directions once at a place -- and meet back for lunch or whatever. The only time this does not work is when photographing sand dunes -- then we walk together and make sure we are not tracking up each other's scene!

Photographing is not a social event for me, but sitting around a campfire with someone after the sun has set is not so bad.

Vaughn

Absolutely. I did not bring LF gear to our New Mexico trip because it is impossible to shoot and visit a site with someone else. (I ended up at Chaco by myself, but that was the only time I missed the gear.)

It is time as well. Even if I am on my own, if I am feeling hurried I have trouble doing creative work.

I wonder if the solitude is necessary for the photography, or whether the photography is an excuse for the solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    It is time as well.

I wonder if the solitude is necessary for the photography, or whether the photography is an excuse for the solitude.
    It may be something bigger than solitude, but of which solitude is definitely a part. You bring up a very good point with the importance of sufficient time, too. Is there a greater concept at work here? Maybe something like having the psychological/physical/whatever space to do what one needs to get done?

The inverse situation of using photography to sanction alone time is interesting as well. I've done it plenty. Most of us probably have, and it may be one of the great things about photography for many of us, depending on the overall shapes of our lives.

I would perhaps add that solitude is my first choice and if I am out with another photographer that I don't know well I am extremely reluctant to share my time unless he is using the same format as me [5x4]. Even other film cameras alter the time dynamic if they are smaller formats. Speaking personally it takes me quite awhile on arrival at a new location to actually see what is in front of me - or behind for that matter. The last thing I want is the pressure of "are we there yet!!" Gosh I sound selfish Oh did I mention next to zero tolerance for Di#$%!&.

If I'm being honest, photography doesn't interest me so much as portraiture does. When I'm alone with my camera, I'm looking for someone to photograph, and failing that, might out of desperation resort to a self portrait, and that's not good for anyone. Being alone in the woods with my camera is something like a bad dream, for me.