Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balcar 6400 Power Pack Just Blew up, Caught Fire

Balcar 6400 Power Pack Just Blew up, Caught Fire

Sorry to hear about all the packs that are being blowed-up!

When I was assisting in NYC I saw many packs blow. Mostly Normans and Balcars. The thing was 95% of the photographers I worked with had Speedos, Dyna-Lites and Comets that hardly every blew...and the 5% that used Normans and Balcars were blowing-up all time. Had a Norman blow right next to my leg - a flame shot out - but was wearing jeans and did not get burned.

Based on my assisting experience I now use Comets. I'd have no problem recommending Dyna-Lites or Profoto either.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

I've heard stories of Normans blowing (perhaps because there are so many of them out there), but I've been fortunate not to have had that experience. If I did, though, I'd only be out around $350, which seems to be the going rate for a used P2000D these days.

About seven years ago, I bought a brand new Speedotron 2405 power pack and two 202 heads from Calumet. About the second or third week I had it., I turned it on to get ready for a table top shot. I popped it off once, and then waited for it to recycle. I waited and waited. Then I heard a sickening sizzle sound and then a hiss, followed by smoke. Blown capacitors. It was still under warranty, so Speedotron fixed it no charge. A corner got bent during shipping, though. It's been sitting in my closet now for a couple of years. By not using it, have I ruined it?

Hi André,

Sorry about your problem. I understand your frustration.. it happened to me with a (much cheaper) studio flash unit when I shot weddings as a teenager. I hope you get it resolved soon. A blown capacitor might happen with any brand, given certain conditions. But some brands seem to go off more than others.

I'll admit to being biased. I've owned Profoto for years—and, from time-to-time, worked for them. I've never had a problem with my gear, except when I dropped a monolight. I replaced the pyrex protector and modeling lamp and it still works great. Profoto tests their equipment so much before it leaves the factory, sometimes I jokingly say that it's already "used" when you buy it new! I also like the fact that their zoom-style reflectors fit their tungsten heads as well as their flash heads.

The saying goes, "If you throw dirt, you lose ground", so I don't want to bad-mouth any other brand. However, I used to work for one of the above-mentioned bomb-makers, therefore my choice of sticking with Profoto is all the more poignant. But I agree with you that it's very hard to switchover once you're into a certain system. Some photographers simply lease their equipment. That settles alot of problems and has certains tax and update advantages.

If you repair your pack, consider adding one or two monolights to your arsenal as back-up equipment. If you replace —no matter WHICH brand you buy— reliability and rentability of packs, heads, reflectors, etc. should be a consideration.

Best of luck.

Good luck.

Ben>About seven years ago, I bought a brand new Speedotron 2405 power pack...It's been sitting in my closet now for a couple of years. By not using it, have I ruined it?

I don't think it's ruined, you just need to use it gently at the beginning. The best thing to do is switch to slow recycle and power it up for three or four hours everyday for a week or so. Make sure you are at home and keep an eye on it incase it blows. Don't plug a head into it and/or pop it during this time but after about a week or so plug a head in and pop it a few times and use each of the connectors on the pack...make sure to turn the power off each time you plug/unplug the head. Then once a month power it up for a few hours...no need to pop it either.

John V.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

John,

Any thoughts on Broncolor, Speedotrons (Brown/Blacklines) or Profotos? Do most of these units have a "power" dumping or dampening system on them? It's incredible to think that they wouldn't but, obviously, some of the older systems may not.

This is akin to a pressure cooker without an automatic pressure release.

Thanks
    Life in the fast lane!

Henry,

Most if not all modern packs are self-dumping (self-bleeding). One thing to avoid - but some photographers and assistants think is correct - it to "power dump". That's popping the strobe and a millisecond later switch the power off. I guess the thinking is to stop the charge to the condensers for safe storage. If you would like to see your pack in the shop a lot keep on doing this as packs do not need this and cutting off power while the condensers are charging places much wear and tear on the inner workings of the packs. Just turn off the power and pop the strobe, some packs will fire, some will not, and don't worry about whether or not there is a pressure cooker ready to exploded. Most packs are self-bleeding and no power will remain. I've had some old Dyna-Lites - D series - that will hold a charge for days if not manually bled...but that's old technology.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for the note... I'll keep your advice in mind but I don't usually power dump anyway. As the Starflash is a bit of an older model... this may be the reason for the blown capacitors. However, it was only replaced last year and I'm really surprised it's blown again so soon. I was under the impression that capacitors usually lasted for quite a few years...

Again, thanks for the advice.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Have simply called Calumet and told them what happened? I haven't had it happen with my Balcar packs so far, but I've had it happen with Normans, Elinchrom monolights (just stopped working but there was a bad triac) , Comet, and Speedotron.

Beverly Hills, California

Calumet hasn't answered my emails. I live in L.A. and am on my way to drop the pack off with them in person.

I know you've had good luck with your Balcar packs so far, and I recall you liked yours. That's at least encouraging.