You may have noticed my previous post regarding meter calibration...

It so happens I was just setting up my camera and strobes to conduct some expoure tests on transparency film using my Balcar 6400 and lights (cloudy day here in LA, hence the strobes) when the pack had a big explosion, and started an internal fire. (The metal case is still intact, and the fire extinguised itself.) It happened just after I turned on the power switch after having plugged two strobes and the synch cord in with power pack switch in the off position -as recommended.

For background, I bought it used at Calumet in supposedly "excellent" condition for $3,000 (supposedly 'demo' quality condition according to their rating system) back in June 2002 - but I did see throught the mesh of the ventillation holes in the side of the case that the capacitors inside were dated 'September 1996' -I wasn't too pleased about that because it was stored in Chicago, and hence was purchased it sight unseen but being reassured that the unit was 'next to new' over the phone.

Anyway, it was warrantied for one year - which has now expired, but I also may be able to claim the extended one year purchase insurance because I bought it via Visa Gold credit card - although I don't know if they will honor it because the pack was used. I amy try to work with Calumet first to see if they will be of help.

Need some advice on how to proceed either to Balcar, Calumet, or my CC company. The pack did not have any other insurance.

This pack is toast. From the look, sound, and smell of the explosion and resulting fire, I doubt it can be fixed back to reliable order.

I cannot bear the thought of being out of $3,000. I barely had a chance to use the thing. Need your help on any useful insight you can provide.

Thanks. Andre (213) 427 9894