Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao XPO

Shen Hao XPO

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting into large format photography (landscapes) and am taking a workshop early September where I'll get to play with several cameras. If I get the bug, I've been thinking about a camera to get. Factors which are important to me are weight (but bearing in the mind the rest of the kit needed, maybe that's over emphasised??), rigidity and, as I'm new to all this, ease of use. I'd eventually plan on using lenses from 90-210 mm and do like longer lengths, so 300 (nikkor/fuji), 450 (fuji) etc in the future as well. So the ability to extend the bellows with minimum fuss would be good.

I don't mind wood or metal and am currently thinking of chamnoix 045n-2 (light, $900), toyo 45AX or AII (heavier, ~$500) or Toho if a used one ever comes up for sale. I know the toyo would limit me to Telephoto lenses. Is 300mm non-tele with toyo and focusing less than infinity possible?

I then came across the Shen Hao XPO (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3420) and have read that this has >400mm bellows yet all the published data is 350mm maximum and also claimed that as a non-folder it is more rigid. Does anyone out there own this camera? Are the rigidity claims true? What advantages are associated with a non-folder like this? Are the centre tilts better/more useful than base tilts? How portable is such a camera in the field as it doesn't fold into a small space at all??

I know there's no end of threads like this, but please be patient as I read little about this camera!

Cheers

Graham

Re: Shen Hao XPO

I have one and it's a very good camera. I have a couple non folding Shen Haos and a couple Ebony non folders. No putzing around with folding/unfolding, just mount the camera and go. I have a Sinar shutter which goes on my XPO for use with barrel lenses. It's a lot of camera for the price, I got mine from Badger Graphic..

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the link. Think I've read series of posts before and am aware that Lachlan717 was involved in the development of this camera. Need to understand a bit more about Sinar mounted lenses first I think? Aren't the Sinar lens boards bigger than your linhof/technika type?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the reply. Good to see that someone owns one of these!

I don't have any lenses with Sinar shutters, so that wouldn't be so important for me and not sure, at this stage of understanding, why they would be advantagous...maybe you could enlighten me?

I read that the camera has 400mm of bellows. From experience is this true or only true of the prototype made for Lachlan717 mentioned in Roger's posts? Could it handle a fujinon c 450mm with a top hat extending lens board? Can you use a lens in a technika/linhof lens board and fit some sort of adaptor to the camera, so that the bulk of the lenses are reduced? How do you pack the camera? Is it light enough for field use? Would you recommend it to a beginner....is it complicated to use in any way (separate controls for different movements/zero detents/smooth focussing track etc.?)?

Really appreciate your time.

Cheers

Graham

I have the predecessor to this camera the Shen Hao HCZ II. The XPO compares to the Chamonix. For what you are looking to shoot the XPO probably would work. For the 400mm you may need to extend the lens with a lens extender going on the front standard. The alternative is to look for a view camera with a rail extension. The question is will you really shoot with those longer length lenses? I shoot landscapes and rarely go to my 210 lens. I usually use a 135, 90 MM or shorter length. You can not go wrong with Shen Hao and Badger Graphics is also a first rate as a dealer.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    The XPO compares to the Chamonix.
    Can you please explain this statement? I'm not sure what features/functions you're referring to when you make this comparison.

Thanks.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Can you please explain this statement? I'm not sure what features/functions you're referring to when you make this comparison.

Thanks.
    Meaning the two cameras are comparable to each other aka vary similar.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Meaning the two cameras are comparable to each other aka vary similar.
    Wow. Thanks for explaining what "comparison" means.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

retrogrouchy

I have a Toyo 45A and would not expect to be able to use a non-tele 300mm lens with it. I can sorta-kinda do 1:1 with a 150mm lens, which is 300mm of total extension and involves the bellows being a bit over-straightened and a lot of care to prevent deformation. I can use a 240mm lens on it but max magnification (from memory) with that is enough to only just do a torso portrait and certainly no headshots.

If you want a good 45AX or 45AII, expect to pay more along the lines of $700-$800 than $500 unless you can get lucky.