Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ektascan BR/A

Ektascan BR/A

Hi everyone!
    I'd like to know if somebody has had in the development of x-ray film Ektascan BR/A.
    The "white" points in the emulsion.

Tks!!

Re: Ektascan BR/A

Just developed my first two sheets of this film in XTOL - and I got one white point on one sheet. What has been your experience using this film? Any good?

Is it in the emulsion or is it dried fixer? The challenge with x-Ray film is how delicate the emulsion is.

Yes, I've seen that same mottling, or whatever to call it, about mid-way through my pack of 100 sheets or thereabouts. I'd have to look for examples but I can find them. I don't know if the emulsion gets brittle with age or not. My film is stored at room temperature which may have something to do with it. It can be annoying and I was pretty alarmed at first but then it seemed to go away but I still see some sheets with this problem from time-to-time. If I remember I'll try to shoot two sheets if (I think) something is an important shot.

Sorry not much help other than I've seen it, too.

How do you rate the film speed? Do you use any filters? How do you vary your development times and which developer do you use? What I produced was very high contrast and seemed to have limited range but it may be what I was shooting. I do think this film has promise in ULF applications as it seems more scratch resistant and sharper than regular X-ray film because of the single side of emulsion. Any info would be a great help. Best Angus

Hi Angus, I generally rate it at 50iso (after comments on the big x-ray thread). To me, 50-80 seems about right but one could easily vary that according to development time. I just liked something simple I could remember and I was underexposing when I rated it much higher (but my testing methods were hardly systematic). I like to use a yellow #12 filter, adding one stop, but for low-contrast situations I don't think it needs a filter. I haven't figured out reciprocity because I've rarely shot it low-light conditions where reciprocity was a factor. When I wasn't sure, I've doubled my exposure for for anything over 10-15 seconds, but that's just a guess. Jim Fitzgerald wrote somewhere he didn't have any problems up until about 30 seconds or so, I believe. Andrew O'Neill posted some graphs but I could never quite figure out what they meant for my particular applications.

The Ektascan BR/A is only available in 8x10. There have been several queries about larger single-sided x-ray film but so far no has come across any, AFAIK. As for the mottling, someone just mentioned this on the x-ray thread and it may also have something to do with development method. I've only used rotary drums so I can't say if it would be as big of an issue if using trays or hangers.

For 11x14, which I'm just starting out with (waiting for Richard Ritter to finish some alterations to my Century before I can continue), I use double-sided just like everyone else. I've only done a few sheets, again in drums, which I don't think is very satisfactory unless you want to strip, so I'm looking at trays. Besides, to my eye, I think some of the best x-ray images are more often than not from negatives developed by inspection under a safelight.

Will you be shooting 14x17 X-ray with your new camera (the monorail)? I know there are guys (e.g. Tri, Tav W. planned to do so) out there cutting down the larger sizes (18x36?) to use for 12x20. I think it works well for some subjects but not all. Sometimes it sings other times it feels pretty clunky, but I haven't been at it for that long. If you don't mind the tonal range and the sometimes frustrations of experimenting with it, I think it has a lot to offer.

Maybe that was a little bit helpful. Hopefully other, more experienced hands, will chime in.

Angus, btw, re. reciprocity, those were just general guidelines gleaned from the others since they were not shooting Ektascan.

Thanks Carl. Btw I think I have a line on this film in 14x17 - at least in a 500 sheet package and possibly 100.

Do those using these packs freeze the film mid way? If it seems mid way through the pack you suddenly have emulsion issues, perhaps there is moisture and you freeze the pack and the moisture crystallized and that caused the emulsion issues?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do those using these packs freeze the film mid way? If it seems mid way through the pack you suddenly have emulsion issues, perhaps there is moisture and you freeze the pack and the moisture crystallized and that caused the emulsion issues?
    I have kept mine which arrived a few days ago at room temperature. The packs come with 100 sheets so it's not very convenient to freeze piecemeal. I believe the 500 sheet pack for 14x17 is in units of 100 - so if I went that route I would certainly freeze a bunch.