Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 enlarger recommendation

Re: 4x5 enlarger recommendation

Rick,

Thanks for the speedy, unabashedly honest response. 'Workhorse' seems to be the most common phrase ever applied to Omega D-series enlargers. Honestly, I'm leaning more and more that direction. The variable condenser head certainly has the appeal of ease, but, since I've got a stack on bucket-style condensers stashed away someplace, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with those, or going after the variable head.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

I have used one enlarger, my only enlarger other than a Durst 606, since 1962. It has served the task of converting my vision from negatives to prints, provided professional results to support my family, and has never failed me in any way. Perhaps I could have asked for more, but never had the inclination. It is an Omega DII, presently with a coldlight head that I added in 2000. Replacement bulbs are available once again for this head. My motto has been, "keep it simple", and this enlarger fits the role. Hope you find what works best for you.

Vibration is an over done worry. My D2 is sitting on a folding banquet table and causes no problems. But I give it a few seconds after last touching it before starting the exposure, make that with a foot switch, and am careful not to bump anything during the exposure. If I'm dodging or burning those are separate exposures and I pick up the appropriate tool, let things settle down, and hit the foot switch. That's all it really takes. If you must be bumping and pounding on things during the exposure then, yes, you will need to brace it rigidly. Likewise maybe if you have one with a cooling fan.

My first real enlarger was an ancient, well-used D-II. With the original Chromega (Rosie the Robot, from The Jetsons) head you could clean your fingernails during exposure and the column unsteadiness while handling did not inspire confidence, but the damn thing surely did make some very sharp prints without being fiddly at all. I am about 90% along in getting a D5-XL Dichro-II to fire up and I must say that the evolutionary changes to a proven design are impressive. The chassis is much more robust and on my (near mint) example controls are smooth and seem quite precise, not Sinar precise, but certainly up to the task at hand. I have not tried to align it yet. The Dichro and Dichro-II heads are impressively light tight.

Another Durst L1200 fan here. Had a Saunders 4500XL and didn't like the light leaks.

Love the dichroic head of the L1200 and the extended control rods, especially for looking close at the projected image and reaching over to focus.

The control rods for the filters aren't used as much and are tending to be a nuisance, because they interfere with the negative hanging out of the holder.

And very much like the rock solid feel of the L1200.

What I like about the Omega D-series are all the interchangeable parts. This makes it easy to find parts to upgrade your enlarger – for example, from D2 to D2v – or to replace broken or imperfect parts, so your enlarger is up and running again in no time.

For example, the lamp house is interchangeable between the D-II, D-2, D-3, D-5, D-6 enlargers (but not the D4). And the same column rails, column base and base plate work on the D-2, D-3, D-5, D-6. And so on...

I’ve upgraded my D2v so it looks brand new, even though its parts are from who knows how many different enlargers of the past. Quite an easy project!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    My first real enlarger was an ancient, well-used D-II.......... and the column unsteadiness while handling did not inspire confidence, but the damn thing surely did make some very sharp prints without being fiddly at all.
    +1. The only thing I have changed on my D-II in fifty years is the head, as mentioned earlier in this thread. I made 40 (11x14) prints today, and can not imagine a different machine yielding superior results.

I've had quite a few enlargers over the years: every flavor of the Zone VI enlargers, Beseler 4x5's, Omegas up to the 10 x 10 F, Dursts and Leitz. Presently I own a Leitz Valloy II and a Durst SM-183 with condenser and cold light heads. When I wanted to get a 4x5 enlarger to print VC B&W, what did I buy? A Saunders LPL 4500-II. I had access to a DeVere 504 which my lab would give me, but did I really want two monster enlargers in my darkroom? Parts availability are not an issue with the LPL, besides the fact that it's still made and most accessories easily purchased on Ebay. Yes, you can still buy DeVere and Durst parts when you can find them but at what price? If I wanted an enlarger for 4x5 & smaller, I'd definitely get the LPL!