Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what computer for 3 gig files?

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

what computer for 3 gig files?

A friend recently complained about the labour involved in using a one gig file, with photo shop.

so i thought i'd ask what computers you would recommend for using the 3 gig files coming from an aztec scanner.

i currently have a imac 3ghz imac with 4gb ram mac osx 10.6.8

cheers

A
    through a glass darkly...

Re: what computer for 3 gig files?

Three gigabytes used to seem big to me until I started stitching in a serious way. Max out your RAM to 16 gig for a $110.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

That will do wonders.

--Darin

ahhh i seee said the blind man.

I haven't installed Mountain Lion yet, but you will like Lion, at least. PhotoShop implemented the feature that saves periodically, so if you crash PhotoShop, you won't lose all you changes. (PhotoShop is the only thing that crashes on my Mac.) The iMac should do you very well.

I have a tower, I put 24 Gigs of Ram in there, I also have an SSD drive in one of my drive bays for a scratch disk. These are all good. However, Apple is long overdue for a new tower so I wouldn't buy one right now. I am sure there will be a new one between now and January sometime... (altho' I have no sources, just a guess.)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

As much RAM as your machine will hold is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    However, Apple is long overdue for a new tower so I wouldn't buy one right now. I am sure there will be a new one between now and January sometime... (altho' I have no sources, just a guess.)

Lenny
    I think they are due in 2013--so says Tim Cook! (How's that for a source?)

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I haven't installed Mountain Lion yet, but you will like Lion, at least. PhotoShop implemented the feature that saves periodically, so if you crash PhotoShop, you won't lose all you changes.
    I believe the auto-save feature is in Photoshop CS6 itself, not related to any particular version of OS X. You get the same thing running on Windows.

You can also set Photoshop 6 to save files asynchronously: the whole application is no longer paused while the file is being saved. This is very helpful when dealing with large files and/or slow disks. You can now continue to edit the file while the save task proceeds.

i was actually looking at getting 'aperture' as it is from the mac by the mac for the mac or how ever it goes, as i only really want to do the bare minimum. you know take out that dust scratch or slight contrast adjustment.

if that makes much difference?

i suppose photography is a bit like zen archery. you get one shot! (photoshop being the slight adjustments in the story over dinner as you recall how large the tiger was!)

Aperture and Adobe Lightroom are useful but targeted towards digital camera users who have to edit hundreds of small images compared to your intention to work on selective, maximum resolution images. For that you want Photosop so you'll be able to clean up those 3 gig scans you'll have. Should only take a couple of days each.

There is a technique in Photoshop for editing very large (gigabyte) files. After loading the big image, you duplicate it. The duplicate becomes your working image for editing. This image you then reduce to, say, 2000 pixels on the long edge. Then you do only adjustment layer based edits to this smaller image. (This means you can do levels, curves, gamma, contrast, inversion and a few others on either the whole image or masked portions of it. You can't do filters or brush based work at this stage.)

Since these edits are being done on a smaller version of the image, they don't consume much memory.

Once this part is done, you resize the working image to its original size, then copy the adjustment layers to the originally loaded image. All the edits you did on the small sized image get applied perfectly and instantly to the full size image.

Then, duplicate and flatten this edited large image. Apply any retouching and filters. This is now your completely edited master image. You can then duplicate that image and resize for whatever output you need.

This approach consumes much less memory than trying to edit full size images. It makes editing gigabyte images even possible.

I do this on a MacBook pro, but I will note that I have 8 gigs of memory.