Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple and Google go head-to-head over Kodak patent sale

Apple and Google go head-to-head over Kodak patent sale

<<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/07/apple_google_bid_kodak_patents/>>

The really sad part of this to me was:
    "Patent sales like this are big business, enough so that Kodak hopes the sale could help it dig its way out of the red and into being a printer company."

Kodak wishes to emerge as a printer company?
    Sad...

Re: Apple and Google go head-to-head over Kodak patent sale

Well it kind of makes sense no?

maybe kodak should do a poll here to see if anyone WANTS a kodak printer. They just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    maybe kodak should do a poll here to see if anyone WANTS a kodak printer. They just don't get it.
    Do you really think that LF film photographers (or film photographers in general, moving forward) really make up enough of a market that they should base their business model on what we might like? That's absurd.

multiplex

they are pretty good consumer printers, and the ink doesn't cost 100$ to fill it up.
    i wish they made a pigment ink printer with a 5x7 transparency adapter ..
    that cost 10$ to fill, i would buy it in a heartbeat ..

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

They have a good business for commercial printers, but their consumer (multifunction office) printers are a lost cause. When I initially found out that Kodak made printers, I had hoped for something to challenge Epson and Canon. No luck. I don't print enough office-type documents to be inconvenienced by the price of Canon refills. Sure, various families who have print-happy children would love a Kodak, but otherwise, no.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

(Shrek)

Well, their consumer printers do have a cute orange line on the front.... Maybe I should get one.

All the reports I've read have the bidders lowballing their offers for the patents.

Looks to me that the only thing they will be good for is patent trolling anyway. What innovation would one expect from them anyway? The technology has moved on and surpassed those original inventions already.

"they are pretty good consumer printers, and the ink doesn't cost 100$ to fill it up."
    So how will they compete then? If their competitors give their printers away for free, and sell the ink. They won't be making money on either. Companies that make expensive razors and use cheap blades are all out of business now.

If Kodak does emerge intact, my understanding is they have waiting in the wings a whole new line of high end desktop printers with 8 or more pigment inks and a gloss overcoat. These purportedly use reasonably priced cartridges and the print quality is top flight. If so, this could seriously present a challenge Epson and Canon--that is, if they ever learn how to run their business lean and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    Companies that make expensive razors and use cheap blades are all out of business now.
    ever price those four or five bladed razor refills? I was shocked