Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you come up with a project?

How do you come up with a project?

Since our moving out of the big city last year I am slowly getting more time and opportunities to head out and explore the country near and less near to our new home. On this exploring tours I have made a couple of images that I like (although mostly in medium format), but I keep thinking that some kind of project to set a challenge before me would do me good - it could push me forward in my photography. Given the premises - it ought to be some sort of landscape-ish/rural documentary oriented thing...

So my question is - how do you come up with a project? Where do you get ideas about what to do/explore? How do you set up your goal and also how do you set limitations for yourself?

Also some similar projects by others might serve well as a distant inspiration - just to get an idea..

Thank you in advance for any thoughts...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Re: How do you come up with a project?

One thing I tell my clients is consider **what do I know, what am I familiar with** this could be the start of a never ending project.
    My good friend a medical doctor started photographing his patients.. This project has now been going on for over 12 years and is still
    expanding and has Museum showings and is indeed making social change with his photography.

For me personally I am a darkroom printer, therefore I photograph close to my lab simple setups and with different print processes , use my skill as a printer to make my photographs tell a story.

My wife who is a very sensitive soul , uses infared film, and now a toy camera to capture scenes with innocence that usually portray the joys of youth and a less stressful time.

the common thing amongst us all is sticking to the subject manner and continue working it.

Take Mark Sawyers pixies... some may not like them , I find his project wonderful and compelling.. I am in the works of finding him a show in my home town so I hope he continues.

Go with what interests you.

I like history and local historic sites that are gradually being lost in time provide the subject matter for some of my projects. I've sometimes found old books describing some nearby settlement and I'll try to find what is left and photograph it.

Gardens provide good material too---document a year in seasons in your back yard garden or maybe a year at a local park.

One of my current projects involve still life warm tone contact prints of marine specimens which I've brought home from summer trips to the beach. It is completely different from my normal stuff but the variety helps keep things fun.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thank you for answers!
    John - Gardens and Parks - that is something that crossed my mind since I am discovering more and more old manor houses, many of them more or less derelict..

Bob - thanks a lot! Sticking to finishing a series in one photographic process is something natural, but you made me see it from the other side - to put on myself a challenge to work with subjects/compositions that would work better in, say, Van Dyke or carbon transfer that I am currently trying to come to terms with.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Certain process's lend themselves to image lighting, contrast and detail

For my solarization work strong lighting and simple subject matter seem to work the best.
    My wife uses strong daylight to get flare.

Carbon transfer loves intricate shadow detail so you should keep this in mind.

I am making a series of northern ontario lakelands that will be printed with Carbon.
    For a client I am mixing platinum and carbon for musicians that he has photographed.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Thank you for answers!
    John - Gardens and Parks - that is something that crossed my mind since I am discovering more and more old manor houses, many of them more or less derelict..

Bob - thanks a lot! Sticking to finishing a series in one photographic process is something natural, but you made me see it from the other side - to put on myself a challenge to work with subjects/compositions that would work better in, say, Van Dyke or carbon transfer that I am currently trying to come to terms with.

Having worked for a newspaper for over 25 years--and still very active-- projects is a daily question. Even concerning large format. As the others have said, you think about what excites you and what interest you. With the large format, it's even more fun. Look at subjects you've wondered about but don't know much about. Look for something you do know about and take it a bit deeper to learn something you didn't know.

Also, keep in mind that the subject matter can be a bit more abstract in an artistic arena. You can explore themes such as color, texture and shape. Look for something that challenges you. If you don't know much about lighting, work on a project you must light.

There's a thread here called 'photo essays' with nice examples of theme.

Good luck.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

I always have far more good ideas than time and resources. How do I sort them out? If I am not moved and energized by it......its a chore not a personal project and it will show in the results.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Michael Alpert

I actually think it is best, for artistic work, to walk backwards into a subject. Don't set goals and limitations. Don't have a plan. Let the most compelling content of your subject-matter direct you. It takes patience and the ability to accept ambiguity, but you will be surprised by what you find. And the surprises will come from the unexpected resources in your own psyche at the same time they emerge from the place you are exploring. What Kirk wrote is very much to the point.

I also suggest that you seek guidance from Van Gogh and Cezanne and Anish Kapoor and Beethoven and Shakespeare and Proust, and not so much from the endless parade of clever photographers who, I think, don't know very much about art.

I too recently moved to a different part of the country and I am thoroughly enjoying exploring my new locale. On one such adventure several months ago I noticed a small, simple, plain church out by itself in the mountains. Once I noticed this church I became aware of others that I had seen in the past, and began actively looking for more. The idea of photographing them as a project stirred within me, but I resisted for some time. I have other projects in progress and wondered if one more would dilute my work too much. I also wanted to be sure that I was truly committed to the project before beginning. As the weeks passed my interest in this project remained, and built within me. So I have begun working on "Mountain Churches of the Blue Ridge."

Every time you have a decent idea - write it down. I have a list of great projects in my phone now - I'll never be bored again (nor, like Kirk above, ever have the time & resources to do them all). But even the projects sitting there 'ferment', as I think about them from time to time, or chat to folks (during other photo projects) about them and sharpen my own ideas...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/