Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Decide - 1st Monorail 4x5 - 3 options

Help Me Decide - 1st Monorail 4x5 - 3 options

Hi folks! I'm new to the forum and would love some opinions!

I have a crown graphic that I'm really enjoying - but I'm wishing I had longer bellows and more movements... so I'd love a monorail camera.

After reading lots of information on this site and others (and the LF.info camera reviews) I've narrowed my wish list down a couple good options. My #1 choice would be the Cambo SF because I tend to do more photos on location (hiking, at the park, etc) and I would like to minimize bulk and setup hassle... I know - sounds like I shouldnt be wanting a monorail - but I would rather have the movements and use-ability first - then the travel-ability second on the priorities...

Background Info if you need it:
    Current 4x5 gear includes:
    135mm and a 210mm, a singer 120 back, 3 film holders (not enough for longer trips), and a PA-45 fuji pack film holder, CrownGraphic and CarbonFiber Tripod... (loops, cable releases, etc)

What I shoot:
    Mostly Portraits and Landscapes... might get into some architecture?

Why a monorail?
    I would like to have better control over my focal plane for portraiture (I think swing is what I'd need for this) and more tilt for landscapes. I also just like the process of 4x5 and composing on the ground glass...

I've found the following options:
    1) Cambo 45 SC in seemingly 'average' condition, with gridded ground glass - at the auction site (unknown seller) for $200 with 6 film holders. The photos show markings on all the movement, so it seems like a plus.

2) Calumet 45 N in Good condition, plain non-gridded GG... also at the auction site (but from a good, trusted seller) also $200 but no film holders (but good return policy)

3) Cambo 45 SR without Spirit Levels - in Good condition - from a good, trusted seller for $170. I haven't found any information on the SR model so this would probablly be a bad choice unless one of you have any info? I contacted the seller company and the rep didn't have any additional information because the item was at the warehouse... but good return policy...

I hope this isn't too specific or too much info - thanks so much for your feedback!!
    cheers,
    Russ

Re: Help Me Decided - 1st Monorail 4x5 - 3 options

I'd look for a Toyo G. Extremely nice cameras, very solidly built and pretty easy to find.

I would definitely look for a more recent one with metal locking knobs for the shift and swing locks. Mine had plastic locks and they seem to break. If you have a G with the metal levers (they are smaller than the plastic levers and smooth rather than ridged where you put your fingers) they are pretty much bullet proof cameras.

Personally I like my Chamonix much better. 2x the price but much easier to carry around. But the Toyo is a rock solid camera, very nicely made. Other than the knob thing, it's a perfect camera.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a graflok back. The Toyo G (or G-II) is a nice camera. Don't know how it compares to the Cambo or Calumet. If you're interested, I have a Graphic View II that I'm selling. Not in the same class as the Toyo though.

Dan

A SINAR NORMA is very well made, monorail, extremely flexible, and comes with a graflok back. I break mine down to travel in a backpack, and reassembly takes about two minutes flat. You can't find any camera that is better constructed than the NORMA. It makes a great outfit coupled with my Linhof 3333.
    Jeff

Re: Help Me Decide - 1st Monorail 4x5 - 3 options

I've been using a Chamonix in the field for the last couple of years, and other folding cameras before that. Recently, though, like you, I'm trying the monorail for some current projects, both for rigidity and ease of use in the field. Changing lenses and refocussing is way easier with a monorail than with the Chamonix where you have to detach the front standard and then be careful to re-align things. If weight is critical, its a different discussion, of course. I happened to have an Arca Swiss model C that I had stored and have been testing in the field. I believe it is another sleeper to consider for ebay purchases. I haven't used the Cambo's but they look a bit rickety to me compared to some others, which are only marginally more expensive. In fact, its impressive to see how many top of the line monorails are sold on Ebay for under $400. In the 80's I never dreamed I'd own a Sinar, but they're giving 'em away now.

One thing I really like about my Arca is the ability to do rise and fall without the swing and tilt being affected like with most lightweights where a single screw often controls several functions. That's a real time consumer IMO, having to re-set your tilt just to get a little rise. It looks like some of the controls are combined on the Cambo's which could mean more fiddling than with the above suggested Norma, for example, which is known to be a fine user.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Smart thinking, a press camera and a monorail give you a lot of options for less money than many popular cameras. They are all great values, $200 for a decent Cambo is hard to beat. I would buy based on condition and cosmetics - no point in getting something worn out at these prices.

General impressions of under-$500 monorails:

Cambo: can be heavier and coarser than other brands but very robust.

Toyo: really solid and balanced, more plastic parts though.

Arca: the older ones are affordable, the lightest, great design but many plastic parts that become brittle with age. A Discovery or Arca F is more expensive but very solid yet light/compact.

Linhof: real sleeper if you find a cheap one, probably the best quality but used parts are rare/expensive on eBay. The leather bellows often age out before the camera and replacements are expensive ;-/

Sinar F: solid, versatile, plentiful. Plastic parts can fail but easy to find spares.

Sinar Norma: best quality for the buck, still easy to find parts, my current and lasting camera.

Calumet, older models, oddball brands: knock yourself out but with prices so low, why not make life simple and go with a better quality, newer camera? Still, a $100 Calumet coat hanger monorail makes just as good a photo as any of them, including those $$$$ Ebonies.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 31-Jul-2012 at 17:20.

Yep... Frank nailed it and he ought to know. He's bought, sold and used everthing you'd ever want to consider.

My vote goes to the Arca C. It's VERY light, solid and has base (and axis) tilts which I prefer. Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works near Chicago works on these.

Close second goes to Sinar F.

Cambo is rugged but too heavy.

There is actually a clear choice for you:
    Graphic View 2. They are inexpensive and bulletproof. The only drawback (that I'm aware of) is that you must use a recessed lensboard for lenses shorter than 100mm.
    Get the adapter which will allow you to use your Crown Graphic lensboards.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You'll do well with any of those Cambos, but as someone else mentioned... check to make sure it has a Graflok back. I think any of those should. We shoot similar subjects and Cambo has been good camera for me since the early 1980s.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

p.s. buy a few more film holders. You don't have enough.