Thread: Preparing a Graflex

Preparing a Graflex

After 33 years of Pentax K, I have purchased a Graflex which came with a Polaroid back, so I have added a 6 by 9 120 film back.
    The lens is a 1/4.7 ~ f/32 135 mm with a Wollensak shutter 1/400 to 1 sec and a rear shutter.
    I am getting it ready step by step , so far it is cleaned up and I think it is in very good condition, I calibrated the rangefinder to the ground glass yesterday and learned all about head and shoulders inside a black tee shirt in the hot sun. It looks like the VF is correct for 6 by 9.
    Next I will check the shutter speeds with a phototransistor and oscilloscope.

My enlarger is a 1955 vintage Federal condensor type which I have been using on 35 mm , and I now have a Rodenstock 1:4.5 90 mm lens for 6 by 9.
    The old enlarger is all set up for 6 by 9 and I can make prints 8 by 10 inch.
    I will be starting out with Ilford HP5 120 film and multigrade paper as I am used to those on 35mm.

My other hobby is home machining, I have a 1936 South Bend lathe. I have been making adaptors for Pentax K to M43 etc, I purchased some Whitworth threading tools from UK and I can now cut the Leica M39 Withworth threads.
    Pleased to see the big quick-change lens board on the Graflex, ideal for adapting maybe a wider lens for 6 by 9 in the future.

I look forward to learning from this forum and viewing the shots.

Re: Preparing a Graflex

Cool.

If you're not acquainted with www.graflex.org, visit it and read the FAQs. They may hold useful information about y'r camera that you don't yet have.

One question? Speed Graphic press camera (that's what it sounds like) or Graflex SLR?

https://www.box.com/s/36f9c76751b6dd9598f0

Hi, Dan
    Here is the camera. It is a Speed Graphic
    Yes, thanks, the Graflex site gave good info on the correct 120 back.
    I have a way to go yet, including the tripod.
    The only tripod i have here (shown under the Graflex) is an Aluminum Velbon which is worn in the lower head, so I might go ahead and machine a simpler more robust top for the Velbon fixed at my height for the Graflex vf.

The beauty of a Speed or Crown or Super Graphic with a well calibrated RF is that they were intended to be used handheld as press cameras and work well in this mode. The Wollensak Raptar/Graphex Optar 135mm can be spectacularly sharp at an optimal aperture of f/16 to f/22. One oft-repeated gripe about the lens is that its image circle is smallish, allowing only limited movements...but this will be mitigated greatly by your using a 6x9 back. Typically these shutters at 50+ years run 1/2 stop to a whole stop slow at the faster speeds even once CLA'd, but mine have been remarkably consistent.
    I'd recommend some 400 speed neg film and getting out photographing forthwith!

Thanks for the good info, Ivan.

Shutter was dragging. I took the front off and it appeared clean enough so I put a few drops of 20% light oil mixed with gasoline on some pivots and gears.
    I have done that on old clocks in the past and it seems to last a long time.
    Checked front and rear shutters with an oscilloscope & phototransistor and shutter speeds are quite OK now.
    for example front shutter: 1/100th is consistently around 10.5 millisecond and 1/50th is 19 millisecond.
    rear curtain: 1/50th should be 20 actually 26 to 30 millisecond, 1/250th should be 4 actually 6 millisecond, that is 1/2 of a stop over exposed.

Paint was flaking on the rear of the anodized lens board.
    Stripped and resprayed with Krylon Camo ultaFlat.

The lenses cleaned in iso alcohol and almost perfect condition as far as I can see.
    So I won't be able to blame the equipment now!
    Graflex is loaded with 6 by 9 HP5 and I hope to get some shots today.