Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photo Vest

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Re: Photo Vest

I have a Domke... seems to work fine.
    In the past I had a Kodak one.... it was great but no longer made.
    Also Banana Republic made them years ago... those were nice as well but no longer made.
    Tilley makes one that is too hot.
    Billingham makes one that is too much money.
    So I use a Domke one.

Don't do it. It'll make you look like a dork and with 10-15 pockets you'll never remember what's in which pocket.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I was going to say photo knob but dork works well.

But what do I know, I plan to use one of those baby buggie things to lug things around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Don't do it. It'll make you look like a dork and with 10-15 pockets you'll never remember what's in which pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggywag View Post
    Hi! I'm considering buying a photo vest and would love to get some recommendations and links. Pros & Cons with different models etc... Thank you
    One of the things you have not indicated, is what are you looking at carrying in the vest, versus the camera bag? That will obviously impact your choices...

Other than small light stuff that you want on hand (e.g. loupe, light meter, phone, viewer, etc.), one significant advantage of a bag or pack is that you are no longer carrying the weight when you set it down.

Watch you do not overload yourself with what you carry in the vest, as that weight stays with you...

The main use for a vest, for me, is to carry my big mediun format lenses and bodies through the airport ticket counter, so that my carry on is light enough for the Toronto bean counters.
    To this end, the only vest I have found that has large enough pockets for a Contax 645 is the Manfrotto, which has zip expansion pockets.
    Only for wear, between the house and just past the airport security; God help me if I have a heart attack then, it would be like going to Emerg with dirty underwear.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Domke and Cabelas seem to be good options. Im doing 8x10 and 7x17, so I will not put film holders into the vest, but maybe couple of lenses, light meter, filters, notebook and an iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You might consider a Scottevest.

The inside pockets are large enough for an iPad or a Kindle so some 4x5 holders would be no problem.

I keep filters, loupe, phone, notes, 3.5x reading glasses (used in place of a loupe most of the time), etc. in mine. Handy as a travel vest also. Kind of a covert second carry-on bag if you fill up the pockets.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/N...vel_Vest.shtml
    It looks like a strait jacket
    Michael Cienfuegos

jadphoto

Wiggywag,

I suspect that my approach to using a vest is a bit different than most folks. I actually carry most of the gear in a backpack on the trail and use the vest pockets to hold the stuff I don't want to put on the ground when I set up to shoot. Saves a lot of up and downs to the backpack, not to mention a lot of zipping and unzipping. Before Frank gets here...I'm talking about the backpack!!!!

Meter and filters reside in the vest but lenses, holders, etc. stay in the pack until I've actually set up the camera. The exception is if I'm just taking one lens and walking a short distance with the camera already on the tripod.

Both the Cabela's and Domke vests are really well made. My Domke must be at least 20 years old by now and still looks new.

I stopped worrying about looking like a dork when I bought my first kilt, but that's another story.

JD

Ever since this thread came up, my news web sites have been advertizing the Scottevests exclusively. The power of connectivity.

I would rather drive around with a platform mounted on top of my car.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com