Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 300-350 mm lens recommendation...

Re: 300-350 mm lens recommendation...

Drew,

If you are having a vibration problem, then your tripod is not adequate to the task. You are using a tripod, not hand-holding, yes?

I use a massive Majestic tripod that could easily support my car for an oil change. Get a better tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Most 4x5 cameras just don't have the mass to dampen it.
    The lens itself has quite sufficient mass to dampen any vibration. The large 300-360mm lenses are huge.

Your claim that the relatively slow movement of a set of shutter blades that weigh maybe 5 grams would cause
    vibration in a lens assembly that weighs 1250 grams simply doesn't work mathematically.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Drew,

If you are having a vibration problem, then your tripod is not adequate to the task. You are using a tripod, not hand-holding, yes?

I use a massive Majestic tripod that could easily support my car for an oil change. Get a better tripod.

The lens itself has quite sufficient mass to dampen any vibration. The large 300-360mm lenses are huge.

Your claim that the relatively slow movement of a set of shutter blades that weigh maybe 5 grams would cause
    vibration in a lens assembly that weighs 1250 grams simply doesn't work mathematically.

- Leigh
    Leigh, tape a laser pointer to your lens and put the dot on a distant wall. You might be surprised at the wierd stuff that will happen at some shutter speeds and extensions.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

My tripods are more than adequate! I use big Ries units directly on the platform - no tripod
    head, period! I am 1000% NOT guessing. This is just common sense. A big heavy brick of
    a lens at the maximum extension of most field cameras is just plain difficult to support,
    and all kinds of vibrations get amplified. Maybe your definition of a sharp image in different
    than mine. What works perfectly well on a big 8x10 wooden folder can create sheer havoc
    on an F2 at long extensions. I know what I am talking about. I use my Sinar mainly for
    long lenses - it's equipped with a 28-inch bellows, though I have more recently converted
    it from f2 to a Norma for slightly better support. Big lenses per se don't dampen anything -
    they just make the problem worse on a lightwt front standard. Two rail clamps on a long
    maple rail will help a Sinar or other monorail (or they make an alum. one - I prefer wood for
    its dampening properties) - but this is only a partial solution. It's helluva lot easier just to
    use a lighter lens in smaller shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Leigh, tape a laser pointer to your lens and put the dot on a distant wall. You might be surprised at the wierd stuff that will happen at some shutter speeds and extensions.
    A water glass on top of the 4x5 can reveal vibrations amazingly well. Something I heard about on this forum...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    A water glass on top of the 4x5 can reveal vibrations amazingly well. Something I heard about on this forum...
    The laser pointer will show EVERYTHING, even when the water isn't apparently disturbed.

I have no doubt Copal 3, Ilex 5, and Sinar shutters vibrate more than smaller shutters. That's why I don't use shitty little cameras made of plastic and toothpicks.

E. von Hoegh,
    I have not tried the laser pointer trick yet, but I want to thank you for putting the idea in my head. I have a lot of problems with movement with long lenses on my 35 mm.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    E. von Hoegh,
    I have not tried the laser pointer trick yet, but I want to thank you for putting the idea in my head. I have a lot of problems with movement with long lenses on my 35 mm.
    Bill
    You're welcome. I heard about it from a biathlon coach.