Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodenstock Geronar

Re: Rodenstock Geronar

I own a Nikkor M 300mm. Let's just say you better not take a women's portrait with it if you want to live!

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    ...It's a modern rendition of the Cooke Triplet, upon which the Tessar was an improvement.
    Yes, the Geronar is a good triplet lens that works well when stopped down. I have one in 150mm.

Yes, the tessar design was an improvement, but lest one suspect from your description that the tessar was derived from the Cooke triplet (which I know you did not say), Kingslake makes the case that it was descended from the Zeiss Anastigmat/Protar.

Rick "whose Geronar is contrastrier but not necessarily as sharp at wider apertures compared with his best tessar lenses" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Yes, the Geronar is a good triplet lens that works well when stopped down. I have one in 150mm.

Yes, the tessar design was an improvement, but lest one suspect from your description that the tessar was derived from the Cooke triplet (which I know you did not say), Kingslake makes the case that it was descended from the Zeiss Anastigmat/Protar.

Rick "whose Geronar is contrastrier but not necessarily as sharp at wider apertures compared with his best tessar lenses" Denney
    Yes, I've read of the Protar ancestry of the Tessar. Someone else - I don't recall whom - was of the opinion that there was a Triplet influence as well. I'd love to be able to crawl into the skull(s) of some designers to learn where their inspiration came from.
    I had an early B&L Zeiss licenced Tessar, an f6.3 version which was jsut lovely - one I wish I had kept, along woth the RB Graflex it was on.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I own a Nikkor M 300mm. Let's just say you better not take a women's portrait with it if you want to live!
    Hey, I've used a 16 1/2" Artar for the same purpose.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.