Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of Velvia for LF

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: End of Velvia for LF

Did you ever use Konica film?

Once upon a time, Konica made IR film once a year. You had to get up bright and early on the day it came out to get your bricks of 120 for the year. (Slight exageration, but not by much.) I suppose they made one master roll, and then, poof, it would be all gone for the year. Then Ilford came out with SFX200, and they basically gave it up. And now, Konica is gone, along with their color ISO3200 film.

Yes, a run of film can be done once a year. The thing is, the run is part of an on-going film production operation, not "OK, let's start the machine up for a month." I have no idea what goes on inside Fujifilm, but I doubt that it's that dissimilar to Kodak.

The problem is with a master roll not selling in a year. There just aren't enough buyers for the product, and so the film becomes too expensive for the consumer. At what price point does someone stop purchasing the product? A fellow on APUG posted that 35mm Portra was too expensive for him at £6 ($9.30 US). Then what? The product doesn't sell. So at some point, the film still sells, and at another point, it's no longer economical to produce. That's what happened with Kodak, and due to their financial troubles, they decided to drop the whole product line.

I'm guessing that there is a whole staff devoted to each type of emulsion, and the staff has to be kept on standby even if the emulsion isn't being made. Just a guess. So Fujifilm decided to drop an emulsion, along with its attendant staff. I seriously doubt that either Kodak or Fujifilm are doing any research beyond maintaining current emulsion production. After all, Acros 400 120 was dropped because revising the formula wasn't cost effective, i.e., it was predicted to fail its return on investment. And that's for something that was somewhat popular!

Though I'll happily stand up and cry out how much I love film and what it gives me, I do realize that quite soon (2013) there might not be any slide film, and then a bit after that, no LF color film. Kodak is now only doing custom cuttings of 8x10 film in any emulsion, and Kodak is a responsive company. Fujifilm is not known as a responsive company.

One of the things that I wonder about is all of the hoarded film. Somebody posted that they have a 30-year supply in a freezer. OK, how about chemicals to develop that film? I've found a few formulas for E6, so I suppose that Photographer's Formulary will produce a kit once the big guys don't produce it. And film ages, even in deep freeze. So now, unless they've gotten good at developing color without a Jobo, they might be getting Hola results from their hoard. I doubt that there will be commercial processing to meet the demand of a few ultra-long-term hoarders. Such is the future.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Landscape Addict

I am glad I shoot mostly 120 roll film in 612 and 617 backs for the 4x5. Velvia 50 is for the people who use it, irreplaceable.. Velvia 100 is great, I love it, its my favorite ISO100 film, and second favorite film overall. Its grain is finer than Velvia 50, (Which when you're shooting 4x5 or 612/617 isn't much of a concern) The saturation difference is easy enough to replicate. that said, RVP50 just has a certain look. I have hundreds and hundreds of RVP50 slides and comparing to my Velvia 100 slides the 50's just exude a certain... something... You can easily see it. My old man can tell the difference and he has not shot slide film in 20 years. but when I show him two slides he can pick 50 vs 100 velvia.

Regardless of if you shoot rvp50 in 4x5 or not, I think we should all be signing the partition. As has been said, seeing any LF emulsion die out is a sad event and reminds us all that its just a matter of time before manufacturers give up the ghost on us all.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    I agree that it makes sense to dump the more saturated version (I also prefer Portra 160) because you can always add saturation in Photoshop. But it still makes me cringe everytime a popular LF film is discontinued....even if I never used it...
    You can also reduce saturation in Photoshop.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Yeah folx,

doomsday olé!

I've ordered a freezer load Velvia 50 in 4x5 ...
    still have to order the 8x10's ...
    will sell some more equipment to finance that

Hehe, now I only have to tattoo "RVP50" on my upper arm,
    like some of the more insane Slayer fans ;-9

Best regards,
    Martin

Forgive the shameless plug, but I tried to put some thoughts down on "paper" about the Velvia discontinuation having sat on it for a few days: http://bit.ly/Pu0mK5

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

thanks dave, good plug, selfless not shameless, well altruistically selfless, i just wrote fuji a few letters, inc one to Shigetaka Komori, lets see...
    through a glass darkly...

Hi All. I thought I would post that after several months and many letters to Fujifilm HQ I have finally had a response from Fujifilm to the petition I started at change.org concerning Velvia 50 sheet film. It is great to see that they have at least acknowledged the request and that we now actually have the name and address of the correct person to contact at the company. I am going to respond to this letter in due course but also wanted to encourage anyone who feels strongly about it to also write to Mr/s Sakata. The address is below.
    I'd also like to thank everyone that has supported the petition so far - I haven't given up yet!

Thank you for your constant patronage.

I am Norihiko Sakata from Photo Imaging Products Division, responsible for photographic film products.

I am writing in reply to your letter of September 5, 2012 sent to our management including the CEO. We again realized how much photographers supported and loved “Velvia 50 sheet film” after receiving numbers of petition for continuation of the product.

Until today, we have made our best effort to keep our production to supply regularly. However, the demand of “Velvia 50 sheet film” has drastically dropped which is only a few percent compared to peak usage period. Therefore, we had to reduce the variety of photographic films including Velvia50 sheet film in order to sustain the film supply over the future.

We will try our best to examine what we can do based on your petition, but please understand that we will not be able to guarantee whether we can fully meet your expectation or not under this severe situation.

Once again, thank you very much for your continuous support.

Norihiko Sakata
    Senior Operations Manager
    Imaging material & Camera solution group
    Photo Imaging Products Division
    FUJIFILM Corporation
    7-3, AKASAKA 9-CHOME, MINATO-KU
    TOKYO 107-0052, JAPAN

That was a polite letter with some sad but very true facts. Unless you have $500,000 to buy up their coating machines, perhaps its time to lay down the sword.

Maybe they can be encouraged to move to an annual run (or pre-order only) of sheet film like Ilford do or ULF and oddball sizes? That would seem to be a reasonable request and doable.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Maybe they can be encouraged to move to an annual run (or pre-order only) of sheet film like Ilford do or ULF and oddball sizes? That would seem to be a reasonable request and doable.
    That's certainly something I will be asking them to consider Dave. Hopefully they'll listen.