Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soligor Spot Meter II vs. Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Re: Soligor Spot Meter II vs. Pentax Digital Spotmeter

At one time in the past I had 2 Soligors and 5 Pentaxes (2 digital, 2 analogs of different vintages, and one really old one that you looked down into.) All 5 of the Pentaxes agreed with each other; the Soligors neither agreed with the Pentaxes or even each other. FWIW.

I don't think the quality is there compared to a Pentax or other bigger name, and the price reflects it. Mine works ok, which is why I haven't yet replaced it, but I will eventually and keep the Soligor for a spare. I'll get a Pentax.

Which pretty much sums it up - if you can afford a Pentax, which I couldn't back in the 90s when I bought my first Soligor, get one and don't look back. But if you can't, a Soligor can do the job and if you already have one it's certainly usable.

Fred Picker sent me a Soligor Zoneized, reconstructed and labeled spot meter. He told me it was the best dammm meter, period. I still have it and it matches perfectly my iPhone meter app! So there!! I have a Metered Light, Pocket Spot and I really like it. Waited only a year and a half but it was well worth it. These meters come in handy with 15 minute exposures on shutterless lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    At one time in the past I had 2 Soligors and 5 Pentaxes (2 digital, 2 analogs of different vintages, and one really old one that you looked down into.) All 5 of the Pentaxes agreed with each other; the Soligors neither agreed with the Pentaxes or even each other. FWIW.
    I can't imagine how I managed with a Seconic Studio Deluxe. The deluxe was the Lumispheres and slides I guess, no battery, who needs a stinkin battery anyway! Hello Chauncey, still have your Ram diesel? I'm making the oil companies rich with my 10 mpg gasoline Ram, and I had it tuned up!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    It might be prudent to ask professional repair facilities
    with regards to parts and future servicing of these meters.
    It would also help to know...where in the world you are located?

The 'gold standard' for meter calibration and repair are these folks:

Quality Light and Metric
    7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    USA
    Ph# (323) 467-2265
    I spoke to George at Quality Light and Metric, about calibrating some of my older Gossen, Pentax, and Soligor meters. The advise he gave me was to purchase a new or just calibrated (by QL&M), Minolta meter and forget about the rest.

This was the advise from someone that repairs them. Not sure if he actually uses them in large format photography.

I own a pentax digital spot meter but my first spot meter was one of the older version pentax spot meters. I had the one that requires two different batteries. The meter was heavier and had that funky low range indicator but I loved the analog quality and all the funky buttons which all worked on my meter. Not sure if both batteries are still being made but you can find them inexpensively. My sample was accurate enough though the newer meter is probably more accurate in lower light.

I've owned both. Pentax, hands down.