Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soligor Spot Meter II vs. Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Soligor Spot Meter II vs. Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Hello

I am looking for a spotmeter to get back into large format photography. I am looking at either the Soligor Spot Meter II vs. the Pentax Digital Spotmeter. What are you experiences/recommendations with this meters? I have used the Pentax digital spotmeter before but am trying to keep expenses low.

Thank you,
    Ross

John Olsen

Re: Soligor Spot Meter II vs. Pentax Digital Spotmeter

My succession of Pentax Spot Meters has never let me down, except when they fell off the roof of the truck in N.M. or got lost by UPS in moving from Japan. Over years they're stable and similar in readings from one to another. What more could we want?

I have used the Pentax Digital Spotmeter for approximately 20 years now. No moving parts save for the ev dials makes it a very dependable piece of equipment. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Another vote for the Pentax Digital Spotmeter, very reliable and affordable.

And another vote for the Pentax Digital Spotmeter.
    Perfection is a moving target.

I vote for the Pentax digital even though I'm on my second Soligor. It works ok - I'm on my second because I lost my footing and grabbed a fence to stop myself from falling and my first one, which was dangling from my wrist at the time, smacked the fence and died. Meter movement is relatively fragile. I bought another because it was cheap and available, not because it was the best. Then I tried to use it to meter a distant, spot lit monument at night and it was impossible to read the meter against the black night background. I think a digital would solve that. My next will be a Pentax digital.

Guess I'm the only voice to vote for the Soligor. I am on my third. The first lasted twenty years before I dropped it about 30 feet into a rocky river bed. For some reason it didn't like that. I bought another digital to replace it, used it for about a year and they had eye surgery. After the surgery, I had difficulty with the LEDs and bought an analog Soligor Spot to replace it. I bought at one point in time a Pentax digital and tried it. Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't see what the hoopla was all about. The Soligor fit the hand better, had a better angle of view and was overall easier for me to use. The Pentax certainly wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't me.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Another +1 for Soligor Digital Spot. Can't fault it and cheaper than Pentax.

I have never used a Pentax but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have, use and like the Soligor, the only problem is using it in low light, which is difficult with the screen not being lit.

i bought an old soligor , i regret it. sometimes the needle jump and sometimes it don't moves.. but usually it works..

i feel it is best not to buy old things if u have a choice