Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

Re: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

The early work with her family and her later work of her husband are really good. Some of the stuff in the middle is disappointing. Her work with cadavers was calculated to be shocking but it had the reverse effect and was repulsive and almost cost her dearly. I get the impression that when she couldn't take the same pictures of her family since her children were maturing, and started to get tired of it all by their own admission, she didn't know what else to do. In a lot of interviews I have seen of her she comes across as a little insecure when she talks about the non-family images. I think all of the studied affectation in her imagery stems from that insecurity.

Dominik

Emil I admit that I like some of Ansel Adam's work and I think his and Fred Archer's (why is his contribution never mentioned) zone system is very usable. I also admit that I have his three books (the camera, the negative and the print) and often read them. But he also had a schtick Yellowstone whose existence is more related to William Henry Jackson than to Adams. His Portrait work leaves me completely cold including his docu work of the japanese internment camps.
    As a photographer he is overrated as a teacher he is not. I wouldn't want a world without his books or his teachings, same counts for Mortensen. I also believe that the Art world has changed considerably since Ansel's time and Mann has to sell her work in today's art world, which quiet frankly often disgusts me the art world that is. I've heard that Mann used to do workshops as well.

Dominik

LOL, show a couple of her shots without permission and then tar and feather her, what a class act...

Dominik

I don't believe that this was the OP'S intention at all he seemed really interested in how she did it and the rest is logical either one likes a photographer or one don't. It's the same with Annie Leibovitz mention her name in this forum and most people will state that she lacks any kind of talent which is of course BS.

Dominik

I neglected to say above that I like her work. Some of it is incredibly beautiful. I just find the affectations distract me from the beauty of the actual image.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    LOL, show a couple of her shots without permission and then tar and feather her, what a class act...
    My position was and still is, that if I made two images like the ones in the first post, I would be embarrassed to have anyone see them. I'm sorry if that offends, but I did not expend the effort of learning photography to produce crap.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Dominik

Let's hope that she won't retire on island and get as fat as a whale Good Analogy by the way as good as Sir Laurence Olivier was as an actor I always felt that his acting was too calculated he was too much in control.

Dominik

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I see that as kind of the Laurence Olivier approach: he spent time perfecting his craft, so he was damned sure every performance displayed it. That is opposed to the Marlon Brando approach where he knew his craft, but had the balls to try things different every time to see what might happen, good or bad.
    Oh, I have the balls to try different things. I just destroy the ones that are crap, as failed efforts. I don't really care if anyone acknowledges my craft - it's doubful they will, as I rarely show any of my photos to anyone. I think that if a person develops a skill, then they should honor that effort by actually using that skill, sort of a form of noblesse oblige.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Beginner

People, please. This is not about whether you like Sally Mann's work or not, but simply how she achieved a certain look when she did a series of colour images. If you don't have anything to say about that, you shouldn't be posting in this thread, but rather in another.

Does the look solely come from the film and exposure? It's the only explanation people have come up with so far.
    Rød grød med fløde.

Dominik

pbryld you forgot the lens, the lens seems to be a huge part of it, look at the out of focus area they look like those from a Petzval or Aplanat/Rapid Rectilinear. The lack of coating + the lack of coverage + exposure = these pictures the film is irrelevant imho buy the cheapest color negative film you can buy if it's out of date even better. You can get these results with slide film as well but it's more of a hit and miss.

Good Luck
    Dominik