Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ventura Show Images

Re: Ventura Show Images

None of my carbon transfer prints are framed with glass... just don't be suprised if you find strands of hair stuck to a print like I once did at a show I had... and cigarette ashes. This was at a gallery in Japan where smoking was permitted. It's human nature to touch, too...
    Good luck with your show, Jim.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

As I've said before I'll be in the gallery on the weekends during the run of the show which ends on August 11th. I'll be there on Friday afternoons and stop in from time to time during the week. I live 5 blocks from the gallery. The Ventura county fair runs from August 1-12th. So there will be a lot to do!

Andrew, it is a nice thing that we do not allow smoking in any of the galleries in Ventura. I'm re-posting a shot from before and I found a place to hang my poster that was done by the Westside Art Walk people. The window is about 3'x5'. I'm kind of hidden but you can see the poster from across the park. This window looks into my solo room. Anyone coming to the show can not miss my mug shot!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show-photos-final-1.jpg   solo-show-window-final-.jpg  

Good luck with your beautiful work, I've never ever seen a carbon print other than once in the Musee D'Orseilles in Paris - not many people are practising this in the UK

Between here and there

Jim,

on 2nd of July 2010 you wrote in a thread: "I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to do something with the carbon prints I'm
    producing." - and now you are! Good luck with the show!

Red face Re: Ventura Show Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Jim,

on 2nd of July 2010 you wrote in a thread: "I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to do something with the carbon prints I'm
    producing." - and now you are! Good luck with the show!
    Jimi, thanks for the reminder. There are some possibilities in the works for other shows. I hope to get some exposure and to help expose my local area and the art community to the beauty of carbon transfer photographic prints. It will be interesting to see where this takes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    It makes sense to me. Especially with carbon transfer being a 3-D process.
    I also prefer to exhibit carbon transfer prints without glass. Without glass the viewer is able to better appreciate the unique relief effect of this process. Another consideration is that carbon transfer prints are much less likely to be damaged than most other types of photographic prints. Carbon transfer prints are basically comprised of pigment encapsulated in hardened gelatin. This makes them physically much more like some types of painting that consist of a colloid plus pigment.

One problem you may have with exhibiting carbon transfer prints without glass is expansion and contraction of the print. This problem is especially bad with prints on thin papers when exhibited in rooms where the RH varies a lot. With this type of print and conditions it may be better to mount the print on an archival matte board, or on a surface like Di-Bond.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I also prefer to exhibit carbon transfer prints without glass. Without glass the viewer is able to better appreciate the unique relief effect of this process. Another consideration is that carbon transfer prints are much less likely to be damaged than most other types of photographic prints. Carbon transfer prints are basically comprised of pigment encapsulated in hardened gelatin. This makes them physically much more like some types of painting that consist of a colloid plus pigment.

One problem you may have with exhibiting carbon transfer prints without glass is expansion and contraction of the print. This problem is especially bad with prints on thin papers when exhibited in rooms where the RH varies a lot. With this type of print and conditions it may be better to mount the print on an archival matte board, or on a surface like Di-Bond.

Sandy
    Sandy, many fine points as usual. Thanks for pointing this out. My prints are on double weight fiber and rc papers. I have always used Alpha Rag 4 ply mount board and 8 Ply Alpha Rag windows. Temperature and humidity seem to be somewhat consistent in the gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    My prints are on double weight fiber and rc papers. I have always used Alpha Rag 4 ply mount board and 8 Ply Alpha Rag windows.
    So are your prints dry mounted in a press?
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    So are your prints dry mounted in a press?
    Ron, I flatten them in a dry mount press and then corner mount them.