Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J and C Photo..... headaches

J and C Photo..... headaches

Hi Michael.

Will Mr. Jensen be offering any other films, like the Classic 200/400? I usually use 400 speed film for my portraits, but I will be using a slower film for use with my fast portrait lens/packard shutter, and Efke PL100 is one that I'm curious about. I understand that the emulsion is quite soft, have you used the brush development technique with this film? Count me in on any group purchases you plan.

Alec, I went to the fotoimpex site, and it forwarded me to the J&C site for U.S./Canada orders. Where are you located? Will they ship to a U.S. address? I'm not too concerned with the X-ray issue, as I'm mostly interested in their Fomatone MG Classic paper, but I downloaded their catalog and although it's in German, I was impressed with the wide range of products they offer, and their very reasonable prices. It would probably be a little cheaper to get the paper from J&C when shipping is added, if J&C would deliver.

Jay:

I am sure that Jens will be handling their entire film line. His response to me was for the films I have tried so far (Efke 25 and PL100). I have not yet expanded my palate to include the classic 200/400, but I will contact him about it and let you know. Given the cyclical nature of rumors about the big name film producers and all of the associated concerns, I must say that it is a very positive feeling knowing that new distributors are being brought into the fold that can provide us with this great Efke/Adox product.

As far as the subject of the negative context of "soft emulsions" go, I use Pyrocat HD in my JOBO and wash it in the drums so this is not an issue. Low contrast subjects twith the Efke films (25 and 100 ASA) that mandate tray development with ABC pyro you need to be carefull in how you handle the film in the development and the wash, but you can attain great results without scratching with a little practice in the optimal way to cycle the film in the trays.

Once I get my hands firmly around Efke 25 and PL100, I would love to try the Classic 200 and 400. Might you know where one could look at a density/exposure graph for these films?

Cheers!

Michael,

Sandy King posted some info on J&C Classic 200 processed in PyrocatHD on the APUG site. http://www.apug.org/site/main/viewtopic.php?t=1579

It would be great if the Classic 400 could be cut in the 8x20 size. For whatever reason J&C would only cut the Classic 200 into the 8x20 size.

Michael, thanks for the info. I look forward to dealing with a local (I'm in Idaho) retailer. The graphs for J&C 200/400 can be found at the fotoimpex site.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/Technik/Classicfilm/classicfilm.html

How to contact this Jens cat???? Website????

I must qualify that the savings I posted earlier at $8.00 per box from Jens Optical are for a 25 sheet box and the price is the same for Efke and PL100 in the 8x10 size. If one compares apples to apples from J&C for 50 sheet boxes the savings are $16 per 50 sheet box of Efke 25 and $26 per 50 sheet box of PL100 from Jens Optical as compared to J&C when one buys at least 8 boxes of the same format/film. Check your freezers and we will collaborate shortly. I am going to stock up for sure and encourage all to do the same in whatever size you shoot.

CHEERS!

As per the question above, Jens Jensen of Jensen Optical Enlargers can be reached (until he finishes his new web site) at:

www.Durst-Pro-USA.com

Phone is (503) 846 1492.

He may not have his film enterprise listed on his old web site yet, but the repackaged film from EFKE (identical stuff sold by J&C) will be called "Silver" a private label Efke film by Jensen Optical.

Give him a few days to get back to the office as he and his staff are currently at PMA. Cheers!

David

I can't offer any advice on your problems but I can tell you there are film suppliers much closer to home. In New Zealand you can buy Forte 200 in 8x10 off the shelf from Euroco in Auckland. Delivery to Australia is only a few days and prices are very reasonable. I know a few Australians have been buying it with no problems.

Yes you may be surprised to learn that LF is alive and well down here in NZ.

We ahve also had a great deal of difficulty getting any response from J and C to our telephone messages, e-mails, and a registered letter. In fact we are getting no response at all.

steve simmons

Received an order from J & C yesterday (2/13), which had been submitted on 1/29. The film itself was superbly packaged (film between cardboard w/ interleaving tissue-which I like; paper wrap; all within sealed foil; and traditional triple box.) Anything I have ordered from J & C has been shipped to arrive.