Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deardorf

Re: Deardorf

Mines just a kid at #2511
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Ya but the club seems to be "The 500-599 Club". Limited membership I suppose .
    I can just squeak in there (598).

NO and that is the difference between a "Field Camera" and a "Flat Bed View Camera", something that nobody really knows except those of us who built VC's. A field camera will fold up in it's normal lens while flat bed VC's will not.

Lynn

Ya but the club seems to be "The 500-599 Club". Limited membership I suppose .
    Loius, is there something special about the "500's"? It's gorgeous, but it looks like a regulation post war Deardorff to me.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Loius, is there something special about the "500's"? It's gorgeous, but it looks like a regulation post war Deardorff to me.
    Hey Jim, Nothing really other then the 1st numbered deardorff was #500 Which I believe Ken said he owned. The other thing I guess is they would be Pre bottom plate and should have four rubber feat in place of the plate. Also the original lens board thumb tabs instead of the later lens board sliding locks .

That's all so nothing that's a big difference really. The thing I found a bit different about my particular #595 is it was NOT refinished but maybe really never used much if at all. It came in a near mint Deardorff case w/ three LN Goerz lenses unused holders in boxes, Deardorff extras in same condition and finally a mint Series A Ries from California. Given how most V8's tended to be ridden hard and put away wet" I thought this was unusual.

It's really a kiss of death for me because I can't get myself to take her out of doors and risk damage. So that's that.

Deardorff Sales and service

Hey Jim, Nothing really other then the 1st numbered deardorff was #500 Which I believe Ken said he owned. The other thing I guess is they would be Pre bottom plate and should have four rubber feat in place of the plate. Also the original lens board thumb tabs instead of the later lens board sliding locks .

That's all so nothing that's a big difference really. The thing I found a bit different about my particular #595 is it was NOT refinished but maybe really never used much if at all. It came in a near mint Deardorff case w/ three LN Goerz lenses unused holders in boxes, Deardorff extras in same condition and finally a mint Series A Ries from California. Given how most V8's tended to be ridden hard and put away wet" I thought this was unusual.

It's really a kiss of death for me because I can't get myself to take her out of doors and risk damage. So that's that.
    The early series of anything is special. But only because it was these examples that set a trend. Now to dispell some "facts". Rubber bumpers were not always installed. If one of the "sons" did not have any in his assembly station they did not get installed. same with the Decal. Merle NEVER put a decal on a camera. JM and Russel did. The bedplate showed up after the 250 camera order for the Armed Services. The idea of not usinig one because it is mint is crazy. I shoot with Deardorff V8 number 3. Thats the third one made. I lug it on my sholder and shoot with a 1924 Dagor that it came with. I will refinish it sometime. It is just a coating on the wood and is meant to be renewed once in a while. I've been refinishing one mans camera every 8-10 years since 82. He bangs the crap out of his camera. I make it look almost new. Just use it!!!
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    The idea of not usinig one because it is mint is crazy. I shoot with Deardorff V8 number 3. Thats the third one made. I lug it on my sholder and shoot with a 1924 Dagor that it came with. I will refinish it sometime. It is just a coating on the wood and is meant to be renewed once in a while. I've been refinishing one mans camera every 8-10 years since 82. He bangs the crap out of his camera. I make it look almost new. Just use it!!!
    I'll be honest I prefer my Canham for my field camera. I just like to look at this beauty.If you ever own it then you can be the 1st to "beat it up" then you can refinish it.

Deardorff Sales and service

I'll be honest I prefer my Canham for my field camera. I just like to look at this beauty.If you ever own it then you can be the 1st to "beat it up" then you can refinish it.
    I never said I beat up my cameras!! I've only put one scratch on any of my cameras, my 12x20. Others sure do though. My point is the finish can be replaced.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

(Shrek)

Well mine is certainly one of the 'beat-up' ones. I wish I knew who owned it before me, or could have seen some of his photos. I have significant wear on all metal parts, and so many pock-marks and nicks in the wood he might as well have dragged it behind his car from one shoot to another.

I've thought of refinishing, but I like the look the way it is. I have new bellows, I've fixed everything that needed to be fixed and replaced all missing parts; I think I now have a camera that will last me 20 or 30 years without touching another damn thing on it.

I got my 509 from Jim Andracki at Midwest Camera Exchange in about 1994. He wanted $700 with bellows that needed replacing. It had an aftermarket base plate which through me off on the dating, but Hough archives sorted me out.

She is weighty but the gearing on my mine is tight and smooth with no slop. We've been on some adventures over the years and she has a definite patina. I'd really have a hard time parting with her...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com