Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicest 8x8 Diffusion Scrim ~ C-stand Set-Up?

Re: Nicest 8x8 Diffusion Scrim ~ C-stand Set-Up?

Vinny - you guys are nuts! Things rarely get so ridiculous on still sets, though I'm a little envious of that.

Frank - a quick video demonstrating a small Sunbounce panel I have on hand.

Thanks David.

What would Chase Jarvis do?

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of weird/overkill for photographers to be using Avenger scrims for still photography? I mean, that's motion picture stuff (and yes, it's super awesome too).

I do like Matthews and Avenger grip and stands though, whether it's for motion or still.

I don't know about 8x8 foot scrims, but for still photography, why not get a Photoflex 77x77 inch aluminum frame (folds down to 39" long, to store in a bag). They have fabrics of all types.

Higher quality than Photoflex would be the 6.5x6.5 foot Lastolite Skylite frame that is used for the same purpose as the Photoflex. http://www.lastolite.us/large-skylite-frame-66-x-66

I don't own Photoflex or Lastolite, but I do have Calumet aluminum frames and fabrics, which are copies of the Dean Collins PVC frames made by Bogen back in the day, but they don't sell anything over 3.5x6.5 feet. Got a bunch of those frames.

I have the lastolites, scrim-jims and the california sunbounce. The build and design on the sunbounce is far superior to the others and well worth the cash if you plan to use it a lot. I have the sunbounce pro (6x4) and it's easily manageable in the field however the aforementioned warnings about safe rigging should definitely be heeded.

For stands I prefer alu-jr's and sr's like this one from manfrotto...http://www.manfrotto.us/3-section-bl...h-leveling-leg
    I've never felt I needed the added strength of steel and I sure don't need the weight. Also, 30lb bags that can be filled on location are great when you have to travel by plane and don't have access to a rental house.

As for using cine stuff for still production....it lasts and can handle the wear and tear of the road and manic location tear-downs without being expendable like all the wedding photo crap discs and feather weight pik stands. But most importantly, it works the way it should.

Thanks, this is very useful ~

I agree with all the gear advice you've been given in this thread, but would like to add a thought: It's not just about what you buy. You will need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I want to be able to travel and fly and move about without needing assistants and a van to carry it all...
    Don't take this the wrong way - I am not trying to insult you, but that's "strobist" thinking. If you want to roll like Lindbergh at Deauville, you will need a couple of strong fellas to rig for you. In seven years of assisting in Sydney, New York, L.A. and Paris I never saw anyone attempting a setup with a large scrim without (at least) two assistants.

Daylight modifiers are a crew thing. Even a simple reflector is useless without a trained assistant who knows how to read the light coming off it and adjust the angle as the conditions change and the model moves: I squirm every time I see one of those "reflector stands". With a scrim, you NEED assistants. Firstly because the stuff weighs a ton, secondly because it is hella dangerous no matter how many sandbags you use (I've chased scrims dragging their heavy stands down many a beach), and thirdly because even IF you managed to haul all that stuff to your location, set it up yourself, weighted it with 1000 bags and had no wind, you would be a sweating, ridiculous mess when you started directing your (bemused) model. Plus you would be looking over your shoulder every time the lethal monstrosity you built creaks instead of concentrating on the shoot.

Lastly, scrim light is great, but it almost always looks dead without some kick (reflector, strobe, HMI, etc), so that's where your second assistant comes in: one to hold the rig, the other to light from the front/side.

Having said all that, you have a great portfolio, a "rep" and skills you can pass on to the youngens, so if you can't afford "real" assistants, why not hire interns? Find a couple of kids who appreciate the chance to borrow one of your beater cameras and a few rolls of out-of-date Tri-X and show them how it's done.
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Uri is right. One of the guys I assist for loves flying big silks, even outside. While the air may seem calm, these can still get dangerous very quickly, c-stands and sandbags not-withstanding.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a Chimera 4x4 that breaks down like you describe, but no experience using it outdoors. Here is one person's grip setup that sounds similar to your description, although a little more flexible.