Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicest 8x8 Diffusion Scrim ~ C-stand Set-Up?

Nicest 8x8 Diffusion Scrim ~ C-stand Set-Up?

I've been looking at these California Sun Bounce things in the catalogs but I am not sure how well built they are? I want a ~ 8-foot square frame to attach white diffusion material, mostly for sunlight on bright days (or a strobe head on not so sunny days) - wondering if any of you with real experience have advice as to what to get and how to rig? I tend to favor the heavier duty Matthews approach but don't know exactly what to get or works best? How many/weight sandbags do you typically use on a mild day?

Also need it to break down into ~4-foot sections.

Thanks

Re: Nicest 8x8 Diffusion Scrim ~ C-stand Set-Up?

California Sunbounce makes the best reflectors and scrims I've used, period. MSE and Avenger stuff (and similar) is also great, but tends to be a bit less easy to work with and weighs a lot more. It will survive the apocalypse, however, so there's that.

For outdoor use, something that big is going to be quite the sail, too. I'd say you're going to want a couple big, heavy-duty steel stands with big grip heads on top and 3x 30lb bags on the base as a minimum, and if you get a good-sized gust that still may not be enough. One shoot I was on, we had a sunbuster umbrella on a stand, plus sand bags, plus ME HANGING ON THE STAND WITH MY FULL WEIGHT and it was still getting blown around. Not a typical situation, though. I'd recommend finding a large steel stand with a lazy leg for uneven ground, rather than c-stands. C-stands are great in the studio, but I don't like them much on location.

Will you need the full size 8x8? The scrim umbrellas are really handy on location and can be rigged easily on a large stand using a grip head and a cardellini clamp, or held by an assistant (a fighting belt from a big fishing shop makes a good place to stick the butt of the pole). They also serve double-duty as a large shoot-through umbrella with strobes if needed.

Specifically, I'm referring to this sort of stand. Two of those, two grip heads, and two Cardellini clamps (or similar) should be all you need to rig a big scrim effectively. That, and whatever sandbags you need to stabilize it, of course.

what david said regarding a frame of this size is all true. we use them on c stands only when indoors or out when it's a quick setup and no wind. Combo stands (stands with 4" grip heads on top) are really heavy and $$$ each so you need a bit of help.
    The matthews frames don't break down to 4ft but do nest/screw together nicely. You can just order 4 corners/2 ears, a bunch of couplers and use your own square aluminum stock. I'm not familiar with the sunbounce stuff. The film industry uses two brands mainly, American stands/hardware and Matthews. American being the best/easiest to work with. Outside of hollywood, Matthews is much more popular. Also check Modern Studio Equipment in burbank, they have their own line of grip equipment and reasonable prices. They'll custom make anything you can dream up too.

ScrimJim - used to have one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	487850_3863782706835_1984124080_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	77117
    This would be the best way to do it. Photo by Tommy Dangcil.

Vinny - this is why I'm always envious of shots of film sets. What is that, a 20x20' silk?

EDIT: Also, one of the things I really like about the Sunbounce gear is that it is so light and compact when it's broken down. When it's me, a photographer, and a single car, there just isn't all that much room. It probably wouldn't stand up to the same level of day-in-day-out abuse as the Matthews stuff, but the advantage is in mass and bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Also, one of the things I really like about the Sunbounce gear is that it is so light and compact when it's broken down. When it's me, a photographer, and a single car, there just isn't all that much room. It probably wouldn't stand up to the same level of day-in-day-out abuse as the Matthews stuff, but the advantage is in mass and bulk.
    This is the frustration with most photo lighting gear... I want to be able to travel and fly and move about without needing assistants and a van to carry it all... I already own two folding carts and my Lightware investment is more than my cameras.... but I like solid, professional quality stuff... not a bunch of Strobist crap duct-taped together.

It's definitely top-quality gear. Just made a video explaining how they go together, will link shortly...

that's irrigation pipe for the frame so probably 40ft. They get much bigger, and scarier. I saw a 20x20 snap two Mombo Combo stands in half once when a breeze kicked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Vinny - this is why I'm always envious of shots of film sets. What is that, a 20x20' silk?

EDIT: Also, one of the things I really like about the Sunbounce gear is that it is so light and compact when it's broken down. When it's me, a photographer, and a single car, there just isn't all that much room. It probably wouldn't stand up to the same level of day-in-day-out abuse as the Matthews stuff, but the advantage is in mass and bulk.