Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Cascade Film holder

Re: Photobackpacker Cascade Film holder

I just pulled the trigger, seems the package is already sent ! This is very quick, thanks for the service !

My pleasure, Laurent.
    B
    Bruce

How many compartments in the 8x10 version?

Says 3 on the website:
    http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT05

I'll have to pick up the 4x5 version soon. Trying to streamline my workflow a little bit more and this looks like an efficient way of doing that.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

3 Compartments but mine holds 6 holders quite well. (8x10 version)

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    My pleasure, Laurent.
    B
    I received the package today, which is way better than expected (1 week for 12*17 days annouced), and the holder is really a nice peace of stuff !

I can't resist so I'm off to test it and make some shots...

I confirm (not sure this is needed but anyway ;-) ) the Cascade Holder makes my life easier in the field ! I'm again abale to use my bicycle to do LF stuff (mobility is key for me, and the bike is much faster than feet, and does not keep me away from the ground as the care does) as I can organize my pack easily !

If I could "complain" : the only missing thing for me is a place for the pencil (but I'll make do with the velcro at the top).

Just watched the video on using the cascade film holder. First, it made the realize how liberating a film to scan workflow is - no worrying about holders in baggies inside of zipper pouches. If I get a little dust, I can deal with it in post. Not a value judgment, just something I had not thought about.

I like the idea of the cascade holder with the individual pockets for holders so you do not have to worry about pulling the slide on the one next to the one your are pulling out. But I was surprised to see Bruce unroll it, then shoot with it still on the tripod while the wind was blowing. I assumed that you would hold in your hand while you were shooting. Do folks leave it on the tripod when shooting when there is wind? (I use a Kinesis belt pouch which hold six holders, sort of an evolution of Fred Picker's little apron for holders.)

If it's really windy I doubt I'd have the camera up and ready to shoot anything. If it's a slight breeze, there's no problem with the holder hanging off the tripod (if that's what you meant). Also, the convenience of having things like dark slide masks (4x10) at hand, is great. The only thing I'd be worried about is leaving the holder hanging in strong sunlight. The heat here can turn stiff plastic into butter in minutes. Hate to think what that would do to the 8x10 filmholders.

/Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Just watched the video on using the cascade film holder. First, it made the realize how liberating a film to scan workflow is - no worrying about holders in baggies inside of zipper pouches. If I get a little dust, I can deal with it in post. Not a value judgment, just something I had not thought about.

I like the idea of the cascade holder with the individual pockets for holders so you do not have to worry about pulling the slide on the one next to the one your are pulling out. But I was surprised to see Bruce unroll it, then shoot with it still on the tripod while the wind was blowing. I assumed that you would hold in your hand while you were shooting. Do folks leave it on the tripod when shooting when there is wind? (I use a Kinesis belt pouch which hold six holders, sort of an evolution of Fred Picker's little apron for holders.)
    I was supposed to have removed the film holder from the tripod for that segment of the video but this was take #11. There was a washboarded dirt farm road about 20 feet behind the video camera. It was in the middle of the corn harvest and every 2-3 minutes a grain and or silage truck went screaming by. With the trucks rattling across the washboard road and a dense dust cloud engulfing the scene we were trying to time it just right. If you watch the video closely, you will see me sneak a peak to the left, trying to anticipate if I could complete the scene before the next truck arrived. In the end, it was easier to put the printed disclaimer in the video.
    Bruce