Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a broken Wollensak Rapax lens

Help with a broken Wollensak Rapax lens

Hi all,

I was just playing around with my first 4x5 camera, hoping to start shooting with LF photography for the first time in the next few days. However, as I was examining the lens, the aperture became stuck! About half of the blades no longer move properly when adjusting the f-stop. In addition, there looks like there is a fair amount of torsion on a few of these stuck blades, and it has caused them to leave what appears to be little grease marks on the inside of the lens. It seemed adjusting the stops for the pictures I've attached seemed to make it worse, so I'm rather afraid to adjust it any more than necessary.

Is there anything I can do to fix the lens? I don't really have the money to put into buying another lens at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0083[1].jpg   IMG_0084[1].jpg  

Re: Help with a broken Wollensak Rapax lens

Not sure about the Rapax, but in a Copal, one must take the timing plate and shutter blades off to get to the aperture mechanism:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post279474

Send it to Flutot's.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Send it to Flutot's.
    Can you give me a ballpark estimate as to how much that would run me?

Also, thankyou for the reply ic-racer, it seems this lens comes apart similarly.

"Can you give me a ballpark estimate as to how much that would run me?"

More than it is worth, you will need all new blades or a new shutter, neither have been made for 40 years.
    Look for a newer lens and save the time and money.

Sorry but that IS a fatal flaw for a Rapax shutter.

Flutots would charge you around $65 just for the CLA. This one will probably need parts. In my experience, most of these are gummed up from age and need a thorough cleaning. Is that the 162mm lens? Its a bigger shutter, I believe, than the ubiquitous 135mm f4.7 Optar, so parts might even be harder to come by. As a first lens, you might want to try finding an Ektar (127mm) in a supermatic shutter. Coverage is marginal for 4x5 but the supermatic should be a bit more reliable than the rapax and graphex shutters.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Flutots would charge you around $65 just for the CLA. This one will probably need parts. In my experience, most of these are gummed up from age and need a thorough cleaning. Is that the 162mm lens? Its a bigger shutter, I believe, than the ubiquitous 135mm f4.7 Optar, so parts might even be harder to come by. As a first lens, you might want to try finding an Ektar (127mm) in a supermatic shutter. Coverage is marginal for 4x5 but the supermatic should be a bit more reliable than the rapax and graphex shutters.

Dan
    Can you elaborate on what that could mean?

You can probably buy another 162mm off of Ebay for around $100. I doubt a cleaning/repair is worth it, but then again the 162mm you replace it with may need a good cleaning as well.
    Peter Y.

The 135 Optar and 127 Ektar are the standard lenses for press cameras. They're slightly wider than normal (approx equivalent to a 40mm lens on 35mm) but they don't allow for much movement (tilt, shift, swing) before running out of coverage (whether loss of sharpness or just blackened corners)

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    You can probably buy another 162mm off of Ebay for around $100. I doubt a cleaning/repair is worth it, but then again the 162mm you replace it with may need a good cleaning as well.
    Occurs to me I have a 162mm Optar in an alphax shutter. Bought it to use the shutter with a velostigmat series II that's in a busted Betax. Strangely, while the back dropped right in, the front didn't fit well. Glass on it is not great. Some scuffs and cleaning marks in the front coating. I think I paid $70 for it if you're interested.

Dan