Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage glass getting more expensive?

Vintage glass getting more expensive?

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on here (not like anyone would remember, haha)...

I'm getting into tintype, and I was perusing eBay for some petzvals. They seemed to be selling for more than I remember. The last time I looked at prices would have been, oh, I'd say 5 years ago. Am I remembering correctly or have they always been this expensive?

Alex

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Vintage glass getting more expensive?

They once were cheap but no longer. If I had a crystal ball I'd know if they will come down in price in the future but, alas, I don't.

p.s. I missed out on the days of cheap petzvals too.

Any ideas why? Besides the obvious that only so many exist, and traditional photography keeps getting more popular? How about other makes besides petzvals?

Yes, there are other classic lenses that have gone through the same rise in price over the past couple of years. Doubled and trippled. I'd tell you which one but I'm keeping mum in the hopes of finding an affordable example in the most popular focal length for myself.

Same has happened with some cameras too: Crown Graphics and Rolleicords are two of note.

I think a lot of it has to do with quantity, as you mention, but also with "feeding frenzy".

I'm not really sure if traditional photography is getting more popular overall or if it is that certain equiptment is getting more popular with traditional photographers... many of whom have plenty of money to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm not really sure if traditional photography is getting more popular overall or if it is that certain equiptment is getting more popular with traditional photographers... many of whom have plenty of money to spend.
    That's a good point. 2010 census showed that there are 57% more men aged 60-64 than there were in the year 2000. That's a lot of old timers going into retirement, looking for something to do... like photography...

I think the situation you've observed is that more cheap old lenses have achieved "cult" status and now bring higher prices. Former old "cult" lenses like Commercial ektars and APO Artars haven't gone down in price, but then they haven't risen in price either (that I've noticed, anyway.) OTOH soft focus Wollensaks and petzvals are the new cult lenses and prices seem to have gone through the roof!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ... old "cult" lenses like Commercial ektars ...
    Shhhhh. That is "the lens who shall not be named".

[whisper] I think they have risen in price. Maybe not jumped, but they seem to have risen. I don't know if they are actually selling or not, but at ebay they are listed at prices higher than I remember. I'm looking for a really nice 10 incher and would like to keep the price to about $200 or so. [/whisper]

Wet plate is getting more popular and we all know you can't photograph animal skulls with multicoated optics, especially in shutters

Foamer

Portrait photographers are using Petzvals, sometimes on a digital camera. I think a lot of lenses are being bought by a relatively small number of people. I own four Petzvals myself, 1847-1975. I have few compared to a lot of people.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!