Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage glass getting more expensive?

Re: Vintage glass getting more expensive?

One interesting thing is that there are two factors that are not linked; rarity and demand. Demand always trumps rarity. I can think of a few examples, the Kodak Portrait 305 and 405 being one. They didn't make these for that many years, they are coated and have fantastic glass. They are some of the best soft focus lenses ever made, but their price has stayed the same during this last boom when other lenses doubled, then doubled again in price. Like Brian says, there are several excellent, uncommon, and very useful vintage lenses that are still good buys. I buy several types and don't say much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    Any ideas why?
    See below

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post

I'm getting into tintype......

Alex
    .....like everyone else.

And there is your answer.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Any old lens is cheap until you try to find one to buy. Conversely, any old lens is worth a lot of money until you have one to sell. Inescapable contraries of the universe...

Anyone heard from the Hunt brothers.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

There have been many "Hunt brothers" in various fields of collectibles. Many are very wealthy. Others have wherehouses full of crap they can't sell.

Is vintage glass getting more expensive? Compared to some modern lenses, their price is very cheap:
    261056750647 Leica Noctilux-M Aspherical 50mm f/0.95 - currently 14 bids at $9,125. Most recent Leica glass is similar. Some digital SLR lenses are quite expensive too, into the thousands.

Modern vendor's very high prices are different from prices for vintage glass being basically the same as they were when they were made (adjusted for inflation). In 1880 a Dallmeyer 3A was $245, which in today's dollars was about $5,000. They don't go for that much today, they are less than what studios were paying for them in the day.

Wet Plate is raging right now. I've been through a lot of these cycles. 8 years ago it was Platinum Palladium.

Wet plate has that 1840's look requirement that a Petzval lens simply does best. Cooke's are next in line. They seem to have a way with the wet plates also.

Some prices have actually dropped because of the economic situation in USA. An important Pinkham for $2850 the other day should have fetched $5200. In defense, it was poorly presented.

Mostly what I'm seeing is the big name petzvals that are out of sight. Dallmeyers and Voigtlaender's and anything that has a french name. So, yes, and no. Some out of sight, some decreasing. I'm listing a 250mm f4.5 no name (darlot) projection petzval later today for a bit over $300 bucks. Perfect for whole plate. Shameless plug. Bad Jim. Bad Jim!

One other reason why prices have gone up is quite simple. People that find these lenses, either at estate sales or garage sales, can easily research the lens on the internet. When they see the high $$ asking prices on fleabay, they price their lenses accordingly.

I have purchased some photo items from folks that are making side money, by buying and selling estate items. Granted they have thousands of dollars invested in some of the items. They will hold onto an item until they do their homework and ask a high price for the item. If it doesn't sell the at first, they just reduce the price until it finally sells.

So far, I have not come across a cheap selling vintage lens, but I know some photographers that have.

Jose
    Last edited by joselsgil; 7-Jul-2012 at 19:13. Reason: dagnabit spelling

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    .....like everyone else.

And there is your answer.
    Perhaps. But that's not going to stop me from enjoying it.

Even if prices have gone up, Sounds like I can still get a good quality vintage portrait lens for 4x5 with some swirl for around $350. Aaaand so you'll be seeing my WTB ad in the for sale section shortly. If anyone has anying lying around in the meantime, I hope you'll shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

-A

I think the Commercial Ektars have risen in price over the past 18 months - I've had this conversation about CEs with another forum member that's noticed it too. Why I don't know - there are lots of them although finding really nice ones at a reasonable price has always seemed to take a little time.

Cheers, Steve